Vehicles you fear ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

All vehicles should be treated as scary. That way, you stand a better chance of being alive next week.

For me, if examples are needed: bendy buses maybe. Trams. Tractor with some monster machinery attached (e.g. hay-baler) especially if wider than the lane it's going along.

Smokin Joe said:
Same as Buggi, dumper trucks and also skip lorries. They are all driven by homicidal lunatics.

Even the rest of the HGV fraternity don't have much time for tipper drivers. I was once nearly forced off the road in a 44 tonne six axle artic by one coming the other way. The problem is that they're often paid by the load so they don't like to stop for anything. Doubtless there are tipper drivers who are a credit to the profession but I haven't met any.
No particular vehicle frightens me more than any other. Potentially they're all pretty scary.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think its the size of the tread on the dumper trucks tyres that frightens me. like i said, not just a case of getting squashed but the thought of ending up like a snail does when you tread on it in your timberlands. all mashed up and all that. and then go round and round on the tyre because the driver don't even realise he's squashed you.

Any vehicle with a driver holding using the mobile - all too prevalent these days, particularly during 'rush' hours when 'motorists' think they are in control because the speed of traffic is governed by the jams... I would like to see plain clothes cycling policemen making their way through the congestion and politely passing over a dangerous driving fine of £1000 - that might be a deterrent! (For cyclists too - if it makes it fair!)
Other than that, X5 and Cayenne drivers have a bit of a blind spot it seems,"but, darling, there are just so many ruts and squelchy bits in Notting Hill..." :smile:

andygates

Tractors pulling huge trailers loaded with beet. They killed a local cyclist a couple of years ago (usual insulting penalties) and still drive like boy racers. I get some serious take-the-lane frisson with those bastards now.

And liquid oxygen tankers. But that's just because liquid oxygen scares me.

We don't get many tipper trucks round here, but Rover 200/400 series with drivers of a certain age, wearing cloth caps, driving with no lights, or at best side lights when it's pitch black, icy, with no sense of direction,and with a small dog loose in the car, we've got plenty!

I've also got a irrational fear/hatred of invalid scooter type vehicles you see the great unwashed riding around city centres pretending to be disabled, scattering all and sundry before them like arctic icebreakers going at full steam! :smile:

freakhatz

..all of the above, and the rest, including vehicles that seem to be parked (but are really lying in wait). I know, you lot think I'm paranoid, don't you..

freakhatz said:
..all of the above, and the rest, including vehicles that seem to be parked (but are really lying in wait). I know, you lot think I'm paranoid, don't you..

Not at all old chap. As they say; 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you'.

I fear the Tonka-style pickups, the "Animal"s of this world, which aren't even used for transporting builders rubble etc.
Usually driven by little bullies of both sexes because they think it makes them look rugged. How sad.

Alan Frame said:
I fear the Tonka-style pickups, the "Animal"s of this world, which aren't even used for transporting builders rubble etc.

I think it's funny that they're all called the Tonka "Outlaw", or something similar. Not very good Outlaws, because they're usually taxed and MOT'd and given to the driver by the company he or she works for.:smile:
Oddly enough, I don't mind the ones that are slightly different. There's one near where I work, which is an enormous Chevvy with a six litre V8 engine. It sounds fantastic when he pulls away in it.

Brock

Red '58 Plymouths.

christine-dvd-cover.jpg

andygates

How does that quote go? "To a cyclist riding past parked cars, the sound of a door opening is like the sound of a gun being cocked."

Something like that anyway. Once doored, forever wide.

Top Bottom