Vehicles you fear ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Alan Frame said:
I fear the Tonka-style pickups, the "Animal"s of this world, which aren't even used for transporting builders rubble etc.
Usually driven by little bullies of both sexes because they think it makes them look rugged. How sad.

My Dads got one for pulling horseboxes and doing stuff in fields and it's invariably dirty.

We call it his Pikey Wagon :smile:.

Cab

Post office vans. They almost always seem to be insanely driven around here.

And anything that has a stereo I can feel before I hear.

jonesy

Guru
The usual danger signs include: one of those stupid noisy exhausts, a loud thumping stereo, italic number plates, fins worthy of a Flash Gordon rocket, underside lights or any other form of 'pimping', baseball caps, young driver with young passengers to show off to.;)

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Post office vans. They almost always seem to be insanely driven around here.

And anything that has a stereo I can feel before I hear.

Oh yes.....same here. I had occasion to ring the local depot once after a ridicuousy close encounter.
The supervisor assured me the driver would be spoken to...;)

I hope so...but the cynic in me doubts it.

purpleR

Guru
Round here, it's mini metros for 2 reasons I think:
1. they are status symbols, so the owner must therefore be a bit of a cock.
2. they are so small their drivers don't think they need to give me any extra room on the road.

Also idiot Mums in their 4x4s, who, judging by the way they drive, really couldn't care if they mow down a cyclist or two on their way back to their enormous mansion in the grange after running their spotty spoilt little child to school.

campagman

Guru
I see all the previously metioned worrying traffic on my regular commute but the vehicle that I find scarey are tractors, when I'm cycling the country lanes. I sometimes see tractors driving around that have tools fixed to the front or back and these tools have many 2 ft long spikes sticking straight out in front! I think that these implements must be used for lifting bails of hay but surely driving around with the spikes uncovered like that can't be legal?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
campagman said:
I see all the previously metioned worrying traffic on my regular commute but the vehicle that I find scarey are tractors, when I'm cycling the country lanes. I sometimes see tractors driving around that have tools fixed to the front or back and these tools have many 2 ft long spikes sticking straight out in front! I think that these implements must be used for lifting bails of hay but surely driving around with the spikes uncovered like that can't be legal?

Yup. Something that has worried me. I've been overtaken by tractors pulling long gear on the back round bends and it has swung round and nearly swiped me on a couple of occasions, fortunately I saw that risk coming and dived out of the way.

DaveyL

Another vote for Royal Mail vans - they seem to be driven by the nutters who were too psychotic to make it as taxi drivers or white van men...

domtyler

Über Member
Black cab drivers are by far the worst enemy of cyclists in London. They are the ones who will, without fail, go the extra mile to get one over on a cyclist. Be that cut us up, pull out on us, overtake with less than an inch of room (and then cut in), basically anything to make us feel the fear of going under the wheels of a two tonne vehicle. What makes it worse is that they do all this dangerous stuff 'on purpose'!:blush::angry::biggrin: And not just a few of them, this is almost without exception. TOSSERS!!

simoncc

Bendy buses, women who think they can drive a car and turn round to talk to back seat children at the same time, fat middle-aged men in big 4x4s and U turning black cab drivers.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Paulus said:
Skip lorries. They make a horrible sound and are driven by loonies.

No, they make a lovely noise. I have had a lot of skips dropped off and collected recently and the drivers/operators have been really pleasant peeps. Perhaps this is a peculiarment to Worcestershire. BTW I am not ready to admit what car I drive, in case a second person criticises them, but I won't take it personally. xx(

"Off-road" vehicles of any sort.
Meet one down a narrow lane and guess who decides they couldn't pull off the road for fear of getting a mud speck on the bull bars.

Just had a re-think about this. I don't fear any vehicle, it's the idiot behind the wheel I fear.
Certain vehicles seem to go with certain mentalities, but no doubt put a vicar's wife behind the wheel of a chavved up Nova and probably it would be driven safely.

Top Bottom