Veho Muvi issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Apologies, I know that the correct "technical" place for this thread is either Know How or Accessories.

But many of you lot have this head cam so i wanted to reach the highest and most relevant audience.

My Veho Muvi seems to be a little more trouble than its worth of late and I wondered if anyone else has the same issues or can suggest a walk around.

First, the battery seems to be providing less and less life. In the winter I was lucky to get 50 minutes (which is to be expected) but even now (or over the last few warmer weeks) I have been maxing at around 70 mins.

Second, The vox feature fails regularly, leaving me with either 30 minutes of footage (the first segment) or sometimes only 5 minutes. (I know this has been discussed before)

Third, Its tooooo easy to stuff up, today must be about the 4th time I have finished my ride and switched off the power as apposed the vox button first, thus deleting the last 30 minute segment. This is doubly frustrating as this is often the most interesting footage on my inward journey (today i looked forward to posting some footage of me drafting a bus from the lights and zooming off to over 30 mph...alas it has been lost, confined to the same place as the footage of me catching a 60lb salmon and spotting the yeti on my ride home)

Fourth, All of the brackets that i was supplied (in the box) have snapped in the same place (check yours now for fatigue cracks!!!) they seem to crack at the flex point where the little curled arms grab the front to of the camera. Two of mine went when I was skiing (I put it down to the cold) and the last went on my ride in today, causing the cam to drop out when i reached the office and looked down...I felt it go and managed to break its fall onto the wood floor in reception. I now need to selotape the unit to the remaining bracket and attach the lanyard to my lid "just in case"

I do realy love this camera (despite my moaning), its tiny, light, with good quality footage and so, so, simple to download and charge...but I'm starting to think I should maybe use it as a rear-ward, or backup cam.

any thoughts or similar experience?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Not using the Muvi myself I'm using the MD80 clone.

Personally I'd advise not using the Vox feature. As whilst the manual says "30 minutes recording" it does actually continue after such it's just that each data file it creates is 30 minutes long. I found the Vox feature highly unreliable and prefare the set and forget of manual recording. The only issue is that you must click the record button to stop the recording before you turn the device off.

Still looking at a better battery solution. I currently charge it at work as well as at home to fully cover my commute.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HaloJ said:
Not using the Muvi myself I'm using the MD80 clone.

Personally I'd advise not using the Vox feature. As whilst the manual says "30 minutes recording" it does actually continue after such it's just that each data file it creates is 30 minutes long. I found the Vox feature highly unreliable and prefare the set and forget of manual recording. The only issue is that you must click the record button to stop the recording before you turn the device off.

Still looking at a better battery solution. I currently charge it at work as well as at home to fully cover my commute.

So hang on...if I just flip it to record, will it continure to record in 30 min segments!...I never knew that, I thought it just switched off after 30 minutes.

Perfect, I'll try that immediatley...Thanks Halo:biggrin:

PS.I take your point about hitting the record button to stop, this never seems to work when vox is engaged so the only option I have found is to switch off vox to stop the recording...hence the issue with sometimes getting this and the power slider mixed up ....and loosing my footage

pompey

I've been using the vox feature and have yet to find a reliable method of turning it off at the end to ensure the last video is completed - press top button or switch off vox mode both seem to be equally dodgy. Will try and just do the 'set and forget' instead to see if that works better.

I have found that, when deleting a corrupted (ie incomplete) video from the device, it doesn't completely delete it, but a portion of the corrupted video remains, and is in fact readable. It means you can usually recover at least some of the last video file if you screw up when turning it off.

As for the battery, it seems to last at least an hour for my morning commute - have not tried longer yet as I charge it up at work for the ride home.

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
So hang on...if I just flip it to record, will it continure to record in 30 min segments!...I never knew that, I thought it just switched off after 30 minutes.

It does. It doesn't have an auto-continue thing...hence using vox...or at least that's the case with my one :tongue:

not sure about your battery life, maybe you use it more than me? I use mine like once or twice a week atm maybe...even when commuting was only about the same.

The turning off thing is very annoying. Gotta just be patient when you finish I guess.

My helmet mount (the only one I use) seems to have become a little less ridgid. I'm worried about the camera falling out so used some blu-tack and now wrap a bit of selotape around it. Others use their lanyard string thing I think. Not ideal.

I think, the muvi does have flaws...but for the price it is definitely the best camera available and a fantastic first cam/budget option (the main competitors being the atc range, imo, being quite bulky and heavy).

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
jonny jeez said:

Perfect, I'll try that immediatley...Thanks Halo:biggrin:

PS.I take your point about hitting the record button to stop, this never seems to work when vox is engaged so the only option I have found is to switch off vox to stop the recording...hence the issue with sometimes getting this and the power slider mixed up ....and loosing my footage

Yup, it just continues to record and creates a new file each 30mins. :smile:

I found that with the vox option on if you hit the record button to cancel the recording it saves the current file then opens a new one immediately due to the sensitivity of the mic. Then when you power it off you leave a corrupt file on the device. Annoying that the power of switch doesn't have the extra functionality of closing the current recording. :biggrin:

thomas said:
It does. It doesn't have an auto-continue thing...hence using vox...or at least that's the case with my one :tongue:

Interesting. Mine definately continues past the 30 minute mark if set to record manually. Although as said I'm using the MD80 clone and not the branded MUVI.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi,

I'm expecting one of these to arrive with the birthday fairy later this month so completely noob question: What's this vox feature for? My commute is around 40 mins and I was just hoping to push a button when I start, push another (or the same one) when I get to work and that would be it, is this not the case?

Ta

M

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
....or you could get a proper helmet camera....:whistle::biggrin:

you again!!!!:biggrin:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
martint235 said:
Hi,

I'm expecting one of these to arrive with the birthday fairy later this month so completely noob question: What's this vox feature for? My commute is around 40 mins and I was just hoping to push a button when I start, push another (or the same one) when I get to work and that would be it, is this not the case?

Ta

M

Well...I THOUGHT it allowed sound (or voacal) activation of recording, so switching it on meant that it records a new file every 30 minutes. So your ride will have two files, one of 30 mins and one of 10, with a.5 second gap between them of "lost "footage, while the cam stops and starts.

but keep an eye on this thread because I think we are both about to find out

I'm now confused. Thomas, Halo, are we saying yes or no. Thomas you say "it does" then immediately follow that with "It dosen't", do you mean "it does swith off after 30 mins?" or it does continue....

thomas

the tank engine
jonny jeez said:
I'm now confused. Thomas, Halo, are we saying yes or no. Thomas you say "it does" then immediately follow that with "It dosen't", do you mean "it does swith off after 30 mins?" or it does continue....

My muvi micro will only record for 30minutes and then stop after pushing the record button on the top.

Perhaps the clones are different.

VOX is "voice activation" mode...or basically, anything about 65db (a bit of wind).

I don't tend to use the vox setting, but it should just record while there is a loud enough sound to pick up...until the battery runs out. At most 2x30mins plus a 15-20mins vid ( the battery doesn't last 3 hours!)
I use it just with power on and use the record button on the top to stop/start to save the battery (that green/blue light) But I could and sometimes do leave it on continuously on longer journeys, it will, without touching it again, record 2 x 30 min segments and a 15 to 20 min vid til the battery runs out.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I just press the top button to record and off i go, press it again when i get to work and i get 3 files (2 if i was really fast)

BenM

Veteran
My Muvi records continuously in separate 30min files so for a 50 minute fride I get 1 30 min avi and one 20 min avi with no operator intervetion. It tends to run out of battery if I forget to charge it.

My routine is :

• switch on Muvi (VOX off);
  • wait for dark blue LED (it is lighter to begin with);
  • press record button wait for flashing green;
  • ride;
  • press record button and wait for bark blue again;
  • switch off.

I use a microSD - SD adapter to get the .avi files onto which ever computer/OS i happen to be using cos the cam itself is rather slow.

My helmet mount has cracked as described in the OP but still works well enough. I have the lanyard hooped through the helmet to prevent catastrophic bracket failure causing loss of the camera.

Top Bottom