Velo Birmingham Cancelled - NO REFUNDS!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As far as my non legal head reads section 9.2 “ruling or omission of any relevant government, court, competent national authority or governing body, on advice of any security or police force and/or local authority consent or approval, or withdrawal of such consent or approval, (“Force Majeure”).” HM Gov have advised mass gatherings not to go ahead.
I could be wrong but as yet they haven’t banned. It is obviously very important to follow the official advice as people’s lives are at risk with this pandemic and this event without question should be cancelled.

The question is whether Velo Birmingham are making unfair windfall profits.
I’m sure someone of a legal disposition will be along soon to put me in the right direction.
I suspected cycling's national governing body had withdrawn backing to enable use of that clause, but no and they sound mildly niggled: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...K---National-Road-Championships---Statement-0

OP
OP
StickyPTFE

StickyPTFE

Just blank them in the future, simple.
Absolutely. They have alienated a huge portion of their potential custom with this decision

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, they certainly wont be paying for Marshals (like myself), so there's a couple of grand right there they've saved. Covering losses is one thing, but making a profit from the situation is very low.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Maybe I'm a Northern tightass, and it's not a dig at the OP, but I've never understood why sportive participants pay so much money to ride on roads they could ride for free.

Are most of these charity events or is it the joy of riding on closed roads?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Maybe I'm a Northern tightass, and it's not a dig at the OP, but I've never understood why sportive participants pay so much money to ride on roads they could ride for free.

Are most of these charity events or is it the joy of riding on closed roads?

Many people new to cycling find the prospect of setting out on an 80 or 100 mile bike ride daunting.

Not so much the distance, but the irrational fear of the unknown and what might befall them along the way.

Thus the support - well sorted route, feed stations, a van if they suffer some sort of cycling calamity, is a great reassurance and makes the difference between being them brave enough to do the ride and being too wary to do it.

As an experienced touring cyclist, you would set out on such a ride without a second thought, knowing you have the ability to get round, whatever happens.

It may sound daft, but when I was a new cyclist looking at a closed road event, I didn't really grasp the benefit of closed roads.

It only dawned on me after a few close shaves.

So I reckon closed roads might be more of an attraction to an experienced rider made weary by occasional, but persistently occurring, negative interactions with motorists.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider this is an interesting view re closed road sportives and perhaps sportives in general. One I'm going to mentally file away and try on people when the topic arises next.

I can't agree with you as I've never heard newbies express these fears. I've accompanied a few on their first century and the concern, if any, has simply been achieving what seems a daunting distance.

When I rode sportives it was the target, the challenge which the event provided that stimulated me. Now sportives are rarely a challenge I only ride one each year for a local challenge and enter the Prudential 100 ballot.

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For me, it is 75% the closed roads nature of the event and 25% the atmosphere of riding with friends and likeminded souls. The distance is irrelevant and if they offered longer distances I would snap their hand off. However, I won‘t be going back to the company behind Vélo, Active Sport and Entertainment, formerly CSM Active.

They’ve excelled themselves ( again ). I decided I wanted nothing more to do with them after the debacle of the Velo South, it seems that was a good tactic.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider this is an interesting view re closed road sportives

Yes, I think it is interesting, and like any view it's only an opinion.

Linked to it is the complaints and warnings you hear of bad riding on charity events and sportives.

These only ever come from experienced riders.

Once again, the inexperienced riders have incorrectly assessed the level of risk and its source.

They probably imagine they are safe from other road users, and because there are only cyclists, they must be safe.

In reality, the risk of a minor collision is increased in those circumstances.

I used to think a charity ride on closed roads must be safe.

That view changed after limited personal observation of the few events I did, and reading the views of experienced cyclists on here.

If you go to any sporting event and it's cancelled your ticket is still valid for the rearranged match.Surely the least velo birmingham could do is to say your cancelled/postponed ride will be valid for next year.
I am participating in the ride london and the velo essex which are still five and six months away but chances are these will be cancelled.

If you go to any sporting event and it's cancelled your ticket is still valid for the rearranged match.Surely the least velo birmingham could do is to say your cancelled/postponed ride will be valid for next year.
I am participating in the ride london and the velo essex which are still five and six months away but chances are these will be cancelled.
I believe the PRLS are announcing their stance sometime next week.

Drago

Legendary Member
They’ve excelled themselves ( again ). I decided I wanted nothing more to do with them after the debacle of the Velo South, it seems that was a good tactic.
Sorry, it's my fault. After last years dangerous shambles I vowed not to Marshal for them again, but because i'm a big softy and love cycling and the atmos I stupidly volunteered again, thereby casting a hex on the whole event...

Top Bottom