Velo Birmingham Climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
There was one absolute bastard of a kicker climb, at about 30 miles, straight onto a 20% short sharp ramp. There was no warning about that one, and it caught a lot of people out. I thought that the organisers did a good job, considering it was their first shot at it.

Yes! I remember the guy next to me asking where the hell that came from. Didn’t see anyone walking up St Kenelms but apparently there were a few suffering later in the day. Certainly feeling it in my legs (and anaesthetising it with beer!)

I live local so knew most of the hills - so practised on much harder ones - I consider myself a poor climber, but didn't have any problems getting up the hills.
The most stressful hill was kinver as people were stopping / going really slow which made me think I was going to tip over.
My practicing of pacing/eating paid off - I started at 8.30 and made sure I was munching every hour - and drinking at least every 30 minutes. My average speed was only 14.5 but i finished the event without turning up in a right state.....my friend who is much fitter than me, as he does loads of other sports - cocked up on his drinking and eating staggered home in over 9 hours....quite amazing what not having a plan for the day does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom