1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Velo Birmingham Climbs

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by ukbikes, 8 May 2017.

1. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Great day - the crowds , the cheering - unbelievable, - registered for next year.
    barongreenback likes this.
  2. barongreenback

barongreenback Über Member

Yes! I remember the guy next to me asking where the hell that came from. Didn’t see anyone walking up St Kenelms but apparently there were a few suffering later in the day. Certainly feeling it in my legs (and anaesthetising it with beer!)
  3. The climb at 90 miles was bad, it totally floored me but that had more to do with the numpty taking my front wheel out rather than the steepness of the climb :wacko:
  4. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

I live local so knew most of the hills - so practised on much harder ones - I consider myself a poor climber, but didn't have any problems getting up the hills.
    The most stressful hill was kinver as people were stopping / going really slow which made me think I was going to tip over.
    My practicing of pacing/eating paid off - I started at 8.30 and made sure I was munching every hour - and drinking at least every 30 minutes. My average speed was only 14.5 but i finished the event without turning up in a right state.....my friend who is much fitter than me, as he does loads of other sports - cocked up on his drinking and eating staggered home in over 9 hours....quite amazing what not having a plan for the day does.
    Last edited: 28 Sep 2017