Velobuild and Chinese unbranded carbon frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think Ribble still has a budget rep similar to Boardman or Planet X etc. I for one don't find it that much of an issue. Others might.
I would rather ride a Boardman Team instead of a Pinarello Dogma if the bike felt better to me. Goes without saying............

It will be a bit of a gamble but if it all works out well, and you don't need any warranty service, then you could end up with a cracking bike.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
I think Ribble still has a budget rep similar to Boardman or Planet X etc. I for one don't find it that much of an issue. Others might.
I would rather ride a Boardman Team instead of a Pinarello Dogma if the bike felt better to me. Goes without saying............

It will be a bit of a gamble but if it all works out well, and you don't need any warranty service, then you could end up with a cracking bike.

Sure, I think they still do but the reviews of your model in particular aren't anything that the detractors of these makes want to hear and do, IMO, dispel a lot of the prejudice which I think is only there because people have spent a lot more than that and somehow need to justify it.

Saying that, I don't doubt that BikeRadar and the like look at the price and what you get for the price, so that an aero bike worth £6000 that's given a 3 out of 5 isn't a worse bike than a Ribble worth a quarter of that which gets a 5 out of 5, I see that, but what constitutes budget performance precisely versus the bigger players? A rhetorical question perhaps, though someone could answer it.

For me, I'd have to have a lot of spare cash to race anything worth over £2000, due the fear of not being able to replace, but each to their own I guess.

Thanks for the input and by the way, how is the R872? I love my New Sportive...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
"In the end i got my money back and bought a Ribble R872. The main reason i did this is that if something is to go wrong then i only have to deal with Ribble and not some stranger half the world away who can only communicate via email, for some reason."

You've obviously not had the same experience dealing with Ribble customer services as I have..... Emails in Chinglish sound like a doddle compared to getting a straight answer from that bunch of clowns.

"In the end i got my money back and bought a Ribble R872. The main reason i did this is that if something is to go wrong then i only have to deal with Ribble and not some stranger half the world away who can only communicate via email, for some reason."

You've obviously not had the same experience dealing with Ribble customer services as I have..... Emails in Chinglish sound like a doddle compared to getting a straight answer from that bunch of clowns.
Lol, i have heard lots of this funnily enough. I have never had a problem with Ribble but other seem to have a different story.

Between the two though i still think Ribble are more accessible as end of the day if something isn't working out you can always pick up the phone and speak to someone who knows your language. Worst case you could even pop along to their place of residence. Not the case with these Chinese manufacturers.

Fredrik Gustafsson

Big warning about buying anything from Velobuild. On the velobuild forum you can post only positive experiences or questions. If you try to post anything negative it wont get through. In my case I have bought a Dengfu FM098 frame that I am quite happy with. But when the hanger broke I needed some help to find out why that could happen. I then found out that my questions about the broken hanger never got posted. Trying several times to post and my postings was always very clear and with all facts I could think of, just asking questions.

So in conclusion, when you read postings on the velobuild forum you should be very aware of that all negative postings are filtered out, you will only be able to read nice things nothing else.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Building the bike is straightforward with the correct tools if you take your time. I've done it countless times and ther will be plenty of help and advice here.

Buying an unbranded frame from China would not be something I would do and Cycleops has hit the nail right on the head in his post.

Big warning about buying anything from Velobuild. On the velobuild forum you can post only positive experiences or questions. If you try to post anything negative it wont get through. In my case I have bought a Dengfu FM098 frame that I am quite happy with. But when the hanger broke I needed some help to find out why that could happen. I then found out that my questions about the broken hanger never got posted. Trying several times to post and my postings was always very clear and with all facts I could think of, just asking questions.

So in conclusion, when you read postings on the velobuild forum you should be very aware of that all negative postings are filtered out, you will only be able to read nice things nothing else.
Exactly my experience except when i posted something questioning the process i was blocked from posting! Major screening going on..........

Fredrik Gustafsson

Did you find a replacement hanger. They are designed to break in the event of a knock or bang.

Yes I bought some extra hangers with the frame.
There is nothing to blame Dengfu for here. The blame is on Velobuild. They are happy to sell frames to you, but when you try to ask nice questions, the postings are blocked or user blocked as Pedro say. Shame on you Velobuild!

talawan

Did my first ever bike build after much research. Bought frame FR321 from ebay. I upgraded my 2010 Lapierre xelius and the components that came out of it went to the FR321.

Attachments

• IMG_20140724_130943.jpg
    IMG_20140724_130943.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 737
Top Bottom