Veloce rear hub play

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I have a good few millimetres of play in my Campag veloce 10sp rear hub that I'd like to try and adjust out. No cup-and-cone nor lock nuts, just cartridge bearings and no obvious means of adjustment.

I've read on bikeforums.net to just tighten up the axle bolts a bit more and then tap both ends with a hammer and check for play again. Would you agree?

I'm a tad nervy about tightening it up too much. The hub spins freely with no noise or grinding so I'm assuming the bearings are still good (around 10k km).

I found that my Campag Zonda's had a bit of play in them after a puncture, couldn't see anything that had worked loose so tightened up the grip on the QR - instant cure!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Tightening up the QR was the first thing I tried. Sadly there was no joy.

I've managed to chase a bit of play out by tightening up the bolts as much as I dare but it's still a ways from satisfactory. I reckon the bearings must be shot, I'll see if I can get replacements.

MartinC

Über Member
Yello, if they're cartridge bearings then you can't adjust them - just replace them. The bikeforums tip is to make sure they're seated properly - if you've done this then it's new bearings (or put up with the play for a bit longer).

OP
OP
Y

yello

Cheers Martin. They are cartridge bearings. Any ideas how to remove them? They are pressed into the hub, and I can't see how I'd tap them out with a drift from t'other side, so I presume there's a special tool.

MartinC

Über Member
Yello, sorry - not on the net much at the weekends. I've not changed the bearings in a modern Veloce hub (yet). Have a google around - as you say they'll need driving out from the other side but I'm not sure how you get any purchase on them.

OP
OP
Y

yello

s'ok Martin, I'm grateful to you for answering... no other bugger did! :smile:;):smile:

I found some good info on the CTC forum, pretty much confirming what you're thinking... i.e. it's not that easy. I'm guessing that there's a tool specifically for the purpose so I reckon I'll be taking my wheel to my LBS to let him do it.

Top Bottom