Velodrome Taster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin McNeely

Accred 3 done today, enjoyed it. One guy fell off on the corner. Burnt down the one side. Good warm up with two free rides and sprinting from the front of one group to catch the other group. Did some alternating stacking too. Looking forward to the 4th level.

colly

Re member eR
. Kit wise I assume there’s no requirements?

From reading a recent post I think you will need two top layers.

Yep. Just found it: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cc-manchester-velodrome-13th-april-10am-12pm.139567/page-5
3rd post down.

:whistle: can't think why :whistle::smile:

I did my Accreditation 1 at the Chris Hoy Velodrome this week. First time on the boards, first time on fixed. Great fun. Accreditation 2 booked, with 3 and 4 to come. May even buy a bike and enter one of the leagues once accreditation is complete.

The hire bikes here use Look compatible pedals and you can use your own shoes if you have the right ones. The banking looks fearsome up close - 45 deg here, I'm told, but after a few laps you'll be swooping down into the straights like an old hand. Enjoy your visit to the velodrome.
the track league is pretty brutal. No quarter asked or given. Great training though

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's brilliant fun. You'll come away with a much keener appreciation of the physics of drafting, centrifugal force and the use of the banking to store up then release energy. The atmosphere is very dry and warm inside the building so take plenty of water, though you can't drink on the track.

27th of April ...but I think there might be earlier ones.

Any tips or hint welcome cos i've never done this before or even been on a fixed wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Mines this Monday! Like a kid at Christmas right now!

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Very!
It's funny, the guy said power through the bends, relax on the straights, at first I tried to keep a steady rhythm, no good, you need to put more power in the bend. The centrifugal forces slow you down in the bend thus power is needed.

After I got the hang of it I was rocking!

You really don't notice the degree of the bend.

And for the £11 you pay, you cannot knock it!

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Oh yeah, I saw that, hopefully it will go down in time.

Incorporate your cost of travelling to Manchester compared to Stratford, and you've made up the difference I'd say. We just wanted an excuse to explore the peaks for the weekend haha!
power through the bends, relax on the straights ...got it.

Stratford is £30.

Top Bottom