Velothon 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No. You'll have the course to yourself.

IGMC

Locals only just stopped whingeing about the last one.The closed roads didn't have the same appeal to them ^_^
I know. I work with a couple of people who live very close to the route. The biggest problem according to them was the shockingly bad way they were notified of the closures. One lives in Crumlin very close to the route and only Knew about it when I told him, His kids came home with a flyer from the school about 10 days before the event, piss poor really. Interestingly he's a marathon runner and a MTB'er and was very supportive of the event.
I am of the opinion that if someone from the welsh assembly took an interest in this, seeing as it is likely to be a massive event, they could really use it to promote cycling,but how much would you like to bet they won't?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Locals only just stopped whingeing about the last one.The closed roads didn't have the same appeal to them ^_^
Most of the route was lined with locals cheering us all on. Minority didn't like it and some threw tacks because they couldn't get to their golf course. Muppets!

A few complained that they couldn't go out in their car.

My mate want to go along the route, the following Sunday, and knocking each house door to ask why they weren't out now they had the freedom to. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I am led to believe it is, but not confirmed.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Now imagine being told you cant cycle along a certain route today because a carathon will be taking place.

The idiots putting tacks on the route should be made to eat them IMHO.

There were lots of genuine complaints about lack of notice and Loss of trade to businesses. In one case a hotel had a wedding party with guests due to arrive during the closed road period.

Im sure with better planning it could be more acceptable but last time it caused much bad feeling .Hopefully lessons have been learned.

Citius

I am of the opinion that if someone from the welsh assembly took an interest in this, seeing as it is likely to be a massive event, they could really use it to promote cycling,but how much would you like to bet they won't?

The assembly is already in involved...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The route looks the same as last year http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/route/route-information/tbc-2016-sportive-route/ If it does differ, then it will only be slightly.

There's still a 110km bail-out option, to avoid the Tumble (cuts off the rabbit's ears).

They aren't doing a 50km option this year. IIRC that was the root cause of some of the starting congestion as they had to set off the 50k riders first for some reason.

No info on cut-off times. Being a full value rider, I want to know how much time on the bike they are offering.

I quite enjoyed it last year but I'm undecided whether to do it again.

The assembly is already in involved...
You are right, in the sense the Assembly is involved in the logistical and legislative side of the event.
What I meant was using the event to promote the use of alternative transport modes, and promoting cycling in general.
To me,some of the problem with this event is the fact that most of the cash generated peripheral to the event( bars, hotels ect) will go to Cardiff, which is prosperous, and not the valleys, which generally are not so affluent.
How you get around that I don't know.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ah. They've chosen the wrong date: Sun 22nd May.

Friday May 20th is the inaugural FNRttC Shoreham-by-Sea ride, and I won't be able to get to Cardiff on the Saturday to be in time for the Sunday start. At least not without making some kind of an effort.

They really should have checked to see if they were clashing with other major events.

Sorry Velothon.

Top Bottom