Velothon 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Have they switched it so the faster riders start later this year?

MichaelO

Veteran
I read somewhere that it was the very fastest in the first wave, then
Have they switched it so the faster riders start later this year?
From the Velothon FB feed:

"The very fastest riders start in the first wave, just so they get a clean break and don't have to overtake/navigate around groups of slower cyclists (for safety reasons). The slowest cyclists are then set off in the next couple of waves amongst a mix of abilities, so they have as long as possible to complete - without the worry of a large group of the very fastest coming up behind them trying to overtake!"

longy65

Picked my pack up yesterday, bit disappointed that they are not giving you any freebies, especially as they hiked the price to enter up by a considerable sum this year!
Hope all taking part have a safe and enjoyable ride :bicycle:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Weather was constantly changing on the route, everything from warm n sunshine to cold n cloudy to rain and even hail at one point.

Really enjoyed it, though interested in finding out what caused the ride to be temporarily halted just before Abergavenny. We saw a couple of medic bikes go past. Hope whoever it was for turns out ok, they don't normally stop the ride completely.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Weather was constantly changing on the route, everything from warm n sunshine to cold n cloudy to rain and even hail at one point.

Really enjoyed it, though interested in finding out what caused the ride to be temporarily halted just before Abergavenny. We saw a couple of medic bikes go past. Hope whoever it was for turns out ok, they don't normally stop the ride completely.
from what ive heard locally - there was a rider that had gone down and was unconcious, also i do believe that near the abergavenny area a vehicle had got onto the route also.......so any one of those reasons could have caused the stoppage of the event for a short time

MichaelO

Veteran
I saw two different accidents where riders were on the road & unconscious - both looked very nasty. Lots of other crashes too - the changing conditions may not have helped.

longy65

To many idiots riding far too fast for the weather conditions, a car drove onto the course and he is being prosecuted for several violations, that caused the holt at Abergavenny.
The results only show around 8,000 riders finishing, so not sure what happened to all the rest!

dickyknees

Guru
According to the results there were 8874 finishers in 2015 and 8814 this year.

Not a bad day considering the weather. The rain seemed to catch some people out, the cyclists around me behaved themselves in the wet and with sensible riding and good company.
Sad to see the amount of empty gels & inner tubes scattered all over the course, even one on the pub floor in the evening.
I couldn't believe the amount of cyclists using "extreme cross chaining" - big chainring and biggest cassette cog and struggling to get up the hills.

Montydog

:thumbsup:....start time 7.13am.....estimated time 6 hours....started in Pen E......seemed lucky with the rain as was only caught out in it once and then had some shelter from the tree lined road:thumbsup:....really enjoyed the ride and had no probs on route or saw any crashes.....

as for the hills....well I am no hill climber and did ok on both of them......must of been all the Yorkshire training.....did the Etape du Dales last weekend....that was hilly:wacko:

pleased with finish time of 5hrs 10mins.......will be back next year to try and crack 5hrs!!:bicycle:

Top Bottom