Ventoux Gearing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Just to personally give me some common denominator, how are you on Winnats Pass with the 25? I presume it's a compact too? I'm running a 34/25 lowest gear at the moment as my bike came with that cassette but I find Winnats unpleasant with that gearing. I'm interested in the fact you felt the Stelvio was OK on a 25 but maybe you dance up Winnats too!
Its hard going on a 25 up winnats and I wouldn't choose that gearing for it. . But winnats is one climb I dont like.
Mentally, years ago (late 80s) I tried and failed to get up it on a 42-18. It was the only climb that I couldnt do at the time. Still haunts me...

Stelvio, in my honest opinion isnt that hard. Its well sheltered, the road surface is good and I would say maxes out no more than 15%. The hardest bit is the last 3km.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
im doing ventoux in july and will be doing so on a 34 -32 (105 med/long cage takes 32) but then im 6'8 and 19.5st.

I shall be hoping to be closer to 18.5 when i climb her.

I'm doing an Alps tour this July (staying in Bourg D'Oisans) and we plan to drive down to ride the Ventoux as well. I have a 53/39 setup on my Giant Advanced TCR1 and have bought a 12-30 cassette for the same reason. Not tried it yet to see if it works - I have used an 11-28 with no problems.
Norry1 if you get the chance from Bourg D'Oisans you can also cycle up to the Croix de fer another major Tour climb and well worth cycling. Enjoy.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Norry1 if you get the chance from Bourg D'Oisans you can also cycle up to the Croix de fer another major Tour climb and well worth cycling. Enjoy.

Thanks mate - we went in 2013 and stayed there and the Glandon / Croix de Fer was the most awesome ride, The scenery was magnificent.

Alp d'Huez was a bit scrubby by comparison, but made great by the history.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
For those heading to Ventoux, I definitely recommend descending to Sault and then heading back down the Gorge du Nesque to Bedoin. Absolutely beautiful scenery and a very shallow descent most of the way, which is great for legs that are tired from climbing Ventoux.
I hired a bike for Ventoux and it came with a triple and the lower gears were gratefully received. As some say, it's not the absolute steepness, it's just that it is unrelenting , never dropping below 10% after you get to the forest bar a very short section at chalet Reynard, and it can be very windy

For sake of £15 or so on a Tiagra 12-28, I'd go for that.

I rode up Ventoux last september (3rd attempt, 2nd completion) on my compact double and managed to keep the granniest in reserve the whole way.

IMO ventoux is not difficult. It is hard, but not difficult, IF:

a) you are fit and like hills
b) you don't pretend to race Quintana and Froome
c) the weather gods are on your side, and
d) you have good mental fortitude.

Of these, I would quite possibly consider the most important to be d).

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just put a deposit on a September tour which includes the Cinglés du Ventoux, so I'm looking forward to it. :smile:
I'll be bringing my road bike, which has 50/34 on front and 11..28 on rear, so should be OK I think.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just put a deposit on a September tour which includes the Cinglés du Ventoux, so I'm looking forward to it. :smile:
I'll be bringing my road bike, which has 50/34 on front and 11..28 on rear, so should be OK I think.
I think you will find it tough on 34/28 unless you are super fit.

Excellent, good man! Don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No advice on the gearing, but I know that if I ever go back to Provence again I'm not leaving without cycling around the Gorges du Verdon (a.k.a. the Grand Canyon du Verdon), which is a real show stopper. There are two great winding roads climbing up above the rims of the canyon, which, as I remember it, was only about 25-30km long as the crow flies. One road follows the northern rim, and the other follows the southern one. A round trip could be one of the best under 50 mile rides you ever do. The town of Castellane at the eastern end is a nice old place, and the Lac de Ste-Croix at the other end is a stunning blue reservoir the colour of a swimming pool.

Top Bottom