Ventoux Gearing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Get the largest cassette you can - I see nothing wrong with a 32T sprocket, or bigger if it'll fit.
Ventoux is relentlessly long, and very steep.
Do beware of the weather though - April might be a little early. I was there in November this year and the road over the top was blocked. Good job, really, as the top 6K would have been most character-building...
View attachment 76308

Do try and take in the Nesque gorge, though. It's a glorious and very quiet ride.
View attachment 76309
Hi TheDoctor,

The week of cycling in Provence is creeping up on me, and I fully intend to take your advice and ride the Nesque Gorge. Sounds great! I've been looking on various maps (mostly on Garmin Connect) and although I can find the Nesque gorge, if you are able to give me a tip on where it might be best to start the ride I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to give.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's not many options! The D942 is the road you want, and it splits from the D1 near Monieux and Sault, and rejoins it at Villes-sur-Auzon. There's nothing except scenery along there, so do carry water, food etc.
If you're based in Bedoin, then along the gorge to Sault, up to Chalet Reynard, and back down to Bedoin would be a great ride. I started from Sault, did the gorge, then through Mazan towards L'Isle sur la Sorgue.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

There's not many options! The D942 is the road you want, and it splits from the D1 near Monieux and Sault, and rejoins it at Villes-sur-Auzon. There's nothing except scenery along there, so do carry water, food etc.
If you're based in Bedoin, then along the gorge to Sault, up to Chalet Reynard, and back down to Bedoin would be a great ride. I started from Sault, did the gorge, then through Mazan towards L'Isle sur la Sorgue.
Thanks for the information.

Looking forward to seeing and riding the gorge. Looks fantastic in the images I've seen.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, it is. It's one of the best rides I've done. Do allow yourself time to stop and gaze in awe! Having said that, the Pont du Gard is well worth the ride too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Oh, it is. It's one of the best rides I've done. Do allow yourself time to stop and gaze in awe! Having said that, the Pont du Gard is well worth the ride too.
We visited Pont du Gard by car when we were down there last August and I was in awe of such a fantastic structure. Fully intend to ride there when we visit in April. In fact, it is part of a 70km loop I've already uploaded to the Garmin. Staying in Boulbon, I have rides to Gordes, Arles, Nimes and one heading north through Avignon along the banks of the Rhone planned. Hopefully (weather providing) we'll go for Ventoux on the Thursday, leaving Friday to lightly ride it out of the legs before the drive home on Saturday.

Top Bottom