Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks for the comments, yeah I agree, got some basic shimano spd pedals to fit, but no shoes as yet, and as I've never used clip ons thought I'd get used to the bike first, to be honest the pedals haven't bothered me yet. The seat and bar tape, yep I agree on that one! And yes it's a shame the crankset and brakes are not sora or better, so maybe in the future.........
I really wanted to run it stock for a while to find its shortcomings rather than throw money at it straight away because then how do you know if it's any better? (And the mrs would have a fit).

razer17

Man, for £400 quid that is a really nice looking bike. The paint job looks pretty classy, too. And if it's the same frame from other bikes like the Mekk mentioned, it must be a reasonable frame, so all in all a bargain.

I think my parents might kill me if I bought a 3rd bike, though. Would be a nice winter bike though, for that price.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Completed just under 40 miles this morning in damp/wet conditions, bike rode well, I'm even getting used to the standard saddle! Although it may well be on the shopping list in the future, so far so good -no regrets buying this bike. Cheers, Justin.

Dom_500

Getting on well with it, done two 30 mile rides this week and has been a pleasure but very glad i did change the saddle as i am still getting used to riding a road bike.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This bike looks pretty good to me. R500 wheels will keep you rolling longer than the usual standard wheelset that many bikes come with.
Yeah they're 501 hubs so not just old stock 500's, I've been reading that a lot of people put these wheels on as an upgrade to "own brand" oe wheels.

it looks to me like Ventura have bought a job lot of older frames from the manufacturer in far off land, done the same with (slightly) out of date components and put them all together. it may be that Argos have been reading cycle chat and seen that the bike is getting half reasonable coverage and nearly doubled the price.

for the cost you got it for, that's a decent enough bike. if it still had Mekk on the downtube, I would imagine it would have been received better :whistle:

decent upgrade may be the chainset if you can get one in the sales.

good on you for trying it out, looks like the gamble paid off.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
it looks to me like Ventura have bought a job lot of older frames from the manufacturer in far off land, done the same with (slightly) out of date components and put them all together. it may be that Argos have been reading cycle chat and seen that the bike is getting half reasonable coverage and nearly doubled the price.

for the cost you got it for, that's a decent enough bike. if it still had Mekk on the downtube, I would imagine it would have been received better :whistle:

decent upgrade may be the chainset if you can get one in the sales.

good on you for trying it out, looks like the gamble paid off.
Indeed, if i had the cash and needed another bike i would have snapped it up .

Dom_500

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=174&t=1435045&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Full carbon road bike for 400 quid. What could go wrong?&mid=0

Here's a really long thread from "piston heads" regarding the bike from around the same time that I was looking at buying one, it seems they were literally flying out of the stores! Good reviews too.

funnily enough that was the thread that put me on to the bike in the first place, my enthusiasm for carbon comes from my car....

Top Bottom