Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dom_500

So i went out for a ride earlier and all i can say is that my first impressions were right, it really is a nice ride and for £400 it is a bargain IMO.

However the saddle and pedals that came with it are only suitable for the bin, Wiggle order will be here tomorrow with some SPD's and Charge spoon though.

Will use it to commute on for the rest of the week and then do a decent ride on Saturday.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So i went out for a ride earlier and all i can say is that my first impressions were right, it really is a nice ride and for £400 it is a bargain IMO.

However the saddle and pedals that came with it are only suitable for the bin, Wiggle order will be here tomorrow with some SPD's and Charge spoon though.

Will use it to commute on for the rest of the week and then do a decent ride on Saturday.

Agree, the pedals are rubbish, but pretty much all the bikes I looked at in this price range come with them as a temporary starting point I believe. The seat -I'm persevering with for the time being!

Dom_500

Agree, the pedals are rubbish, but pretty much all the bikes I looked at in this price range come with them as a temporary starting point I believe. The seat -I'm persevering with for the time being!

I only did 10 miles on it yesterday and today another 15 but it is pretty uncomfortable so the charge has just been fitted with the new pedals, going to do a decent ride on Saturday which will be its proper shakedown.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Did another 17 miles tonight, bike rode well although downshifts are a little "scruffy" sometimes not engaging properly and "clicking" needing another shift on the lever, up shifts are fine. Not sure if it's me not pushing the lever over far enough or whether it needs adjusting? This is my first road bike with these shifters so I'm getting used to it. Bike feels good otherwise, just my body needs to acclimatise to the position and the seat (hurting my nads a bit rather than my posterior, sorry ladies) not sure if this is a poor saddle problem or just my lack of time in it. The ride is good, bumps and pot holes or poor road surfaces need a swerve, but I'm sure this is the same with any "no suspension high pressure tyres" bike (I'm coming from a mtb so am used to front springs). The brakes although unbranded are fine. All in all pretty happy with the quality of the bike and the price.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
No didn't touch anything, gears seemed fine on a stand, so thought we would let everything "bed in" then adjust as necessary after a few miles, so it could be cable stretch?

cbs

No didn't touch anything, gears seemed fine on a stand, so thought we would let everything "bed in" then adjust as necessary after a few miles, so it could be cable stretch?

Yes, cable stretch for sure, to change "down", ie., to a larger sprocket, the lever pulls the cable and that moves the derailleur, so if the cable stretches a few mms, it doesn't move as far and won't quite make the change. Adjustment is very simple and just a case of taking up the slack in the cable.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks, I will have a fiddle with it, popped out tonight and was a bit firmer on the downshifts and it was fine so maybe it is a bit of me also!
Got my first top 8 on strava tonight! Just a short couple of miles climb, but it feels nice!

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Update, took a couple of turns of play up on the rear cable, everything seems in order now.
Now completed 50 miles, bikes been pretty faultless thus far, I think the bike is deserving of far more credit than it gets! Here's a pic.
image.jpg

Top Bottom