Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi all, I've seem a few threads about these bikes but nothing really up to date, they are currently up for £399 at ARGOS, there I said it ARGOS! Apart from the seller and lack of support and somewhat mish mash of components and I think it's a late 2012/13 bike so a little out of date, what do people think of this bike? Are there any owners out there with genuine opinions?

The frame looks to be the same as on mekk carbon bikes?

I never really considered one at the rrp or even half rrp but at this price might be worth a punt. Cheers, Justin.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That aint bad for £400 although i would be tempted to go for it if at that price if i was in need of a winter bike cheap and knew more about the geometry .

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi, I posted a question about this bike probably in the wrong section (sorry-newbie) so here goes again.
It's the carbon framed bike in argos, been on sale since early 2013 at various prices but is now up for £399. It features various componentry with some sora, Ritchie and un branded brakes, just wondered what people's thoughts were on it and if there were many owners out there who actually bought one and could give an opinion. There's very little detailed spec on the web and the argos description is somewhat laughable, but it is a carbon framed bike with some reasonable kit on it for rather cheap money. Obviously there would be no backup from argos apart from a standard one year guarantee, but my LBS would build it up and set it up out the box for £35 (I checked). Anybody actually tried one of these? Cheers, justin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not tried, but I think I'd rather have a £400 alu Felt from Wiggle or Triban from Decathlon than a bike from Argos with no warranty or aftersales support

Not all carbon is good, nor is it necessarily an upgrade

If you do a search there was a long thread on an Argos carbon bike, dunno if same one

If you think it's worth a punt, go for it, and report back

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yeah, seen that thread and a few others like them when the bike was first for sale, to be fair the owners that did respond did have good things to say about them. There just seems to be nothing up to date regarding how they've got on a year down the line, absolutely no reviews on the bike on the net at all.
Most people slated the bike mainly because it was from argos and a relatively unknown quantity, but I believe the frame is used on a few other brands?
My budget is around this mark and I had narrowed my search down to the felt f95 as you say or the virus razor, I dunno, choices and decisions! If I did buy one I would certainly keep everyone posted on what it's like, but coming from a slick shod mtb my thoughts are not exactly worthy of much attention!

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't the Argos have a review section where purchasers can comment? Might be worth a shufty through, ignoring the outliers

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes it does, all good in that department nothing negative at all. And Several question and answers about the bike of varying usefulness!

vickster

Legendary Member
One question to ask yourself - what are you expecting a carbon frame to offer over an alu one with carbon forks?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
To be truthfully honest - no idea, just seemed to be a lot of bike for the money!

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes I may just do that, I've never thought of my carbon fishing rods as plastic (and if they were plastic they wouldn't conduct electricity right?)LOL!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
To me it looks excellent value. 8.8kg with at least partial Sora kit on it. Bit of upgrading would get it sub 8kg.
Not sure why there would be a warranty issue with Argos rather than a dedicated bike retailer.
From the reviews it would appear that the frame is made by one of the main Taiwanese manufacturers.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
With just a bit of rough pricing up there clearly isn't a lot of profit in this bike! Shimano wheel set at least £100, Ritchie seat post and bars £70, Sora parts, frame, tyres, etc etc. it started off life at £1399 (although I doubt any were sold at that price).
The carrera carbon virago has the same frame and has very good reviews.
I think I've talked myself into buying this bike.

absolutely no reviews on the bike on the net at all.
What does that tell you? ;)

I totally agree with vickster's comment, "Not all carbon is good, nor is it necessarily an upgrade" Buy cheap buy twice as a wise man once said.

The best advice I ever got was to buy the best frame your budget will allow, and personally I'd rather have a better alu frame than the cheapest possible carbon one.

I've just been reading THIS thread actually about a Ribble carbon frame, have a look, it might make things clearer ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
But if you are spending £399 on a bike you are not going to get a top of the range alu frame. You couldn't even build up a Ribble audax frame at that price point. My experience of cheap alu is the ride is harsh compared to carbon and it is heavier as well.
Just balancing the discussion ;)

Top Bottom