Venturing into clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I think I'm going to venture into clipless as I've been told it helps a bit on the hills (is this true)

Anyway, can anyone recommend some shoes and pedals that are reasonable and easy to get on with?

I commute on my bike too so need something that's easy to get out of !

MikeW-71

Veteran
It helps on hills purely because you don't have to worry about a foot slipping off a pedal, They will feel odd at first, but as you get used to them you'll wonder what took you so long to try them :smile:

I'd recommend SPD pedals, the Shimano M520's are cheap as chips, durable and easy to clip in and out of. The cleat also tends to be recessed into the shoe sole so you can still walk normally. Use MTB or Touring shoes.

Good luck, and watch out for the "embarrasing clipless moment" ;)

L14M

Über Member
I've started from scratch with SPD SL's. With shimano R540 Light action (really good) Lube them when you get them, and enjoy. You need to accept you'll have some moments!

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
I have some Aldi cycling shoes that seem to have 2 bolts underneath so I think I may be able to use these

I've just looked at some m520 pedals as they seem a cheap way to try it all out

There is a sticky on the whole subject of clipless pedals HERE :thumbsup:

If walking is a consideration then go for the M520 pedals as @MikeW-71 suggests, and then whichever compatible shoes you have the budget for.

The SPD-SL style have bulky cleats that make walking a pain in the @rse.

FYI, clipless pedals also help on hills as you can pull up on the back stroke as well.

I have some Aldi cycling shoes that seem to have 2 bolts underneath so I think I may be able to use these
They sound right, the recess on the soles should be something like this for them to be SPD compatible.

shimano-mt41-spd-shoes-brown-52627.jpg

I recently tried clipless and I went out for quick spin around an empty road near me and I was able to clip in and out. however when I went out for a proper ride the first junction I reached I clipped out the left foot and stopped but must have been leaning to the right lost balance and fell. I hurt my right hip and elbow. I had to re-adjust the seat and also get the gears indexed again. also the screw on the mudguard worked loose and was scrapping on the rear wheel. I had to phone my dad to pick me up after a few miles. since then I have never used the clipless again.

L14M

Über Member
I recently tried clipless and I went out for quick spin around an empty road near me and I was able to clip in and out. however when I went out for a proper ride the first junction I reached I clipped out the left foot and stopped but must have been leaning to the right lost balance and fell. I hurt my right hip and elbow. I had to re-adjust the seat and also get the gears indexed again. also the screw on the mudguard worked loose and was scrapping on the rear wheel. I had to phone my dad to pick me up after a few miles. since then I have never used the clipless again.
I've done that, but you'll get through that stage.. You'll be fine!

I didn't try unclipping the right foot until I started falling but didn't get it out in time. when I hit the floor my right foot released itself.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I recently bought some new spd-l pedals and the cleats were included, so check whether you need to buy cleats seperately or not.

screenman

Legendary Member
I did a cross race the day after buying my first SPD pedals about 20+ year's ago, I had no problems. I post this just to bring a positive to the post, after the negative from the guy who fell off.

Top Bottom