Venturing into clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Stone

Practice in a garden, the pedals can be adjusted, use the instructions to slacken springs off until you get the hang of it, your feet will just pop out, as you get confident tighten it up.

You may fall, you may not, but they are good and once used to it you won't look back

sazzaa

I recently tried clipless and I went out for quick spin around an empty road near me and I was able to clip in and out. however when I went out for a proper ride the first junction I reached I clipped out the left foot and stopped but must have been leaning to the right lost balance and fell. I hurt my right hip and elbow. I had to re-adjust the seat and also get the gears indexed again. also the screw on the mudguard worked loose and was scrapping on the rear wheel. I had to phone my dad to pick me up after a few miles. since then I have never used the clipless again.
Been there, done that, don't let it put you off, it's just part of the learning process!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I always unclip the left foot and peddle with the heel when i feel i might have to stop abruptly. Riding clipless along with all other cycling actions becomes second nature as you gain the experience.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some people don't fall over when they start going clipless. I went over about four times in the first two weeks. It wasn't a big deal in terms of embarrassment. I set the release tension to the absolute minimum on my first day and I have never felt the need to make it harder to unclip in the last four years. My only advice would be to un-clip both feet when you are learning, and that you place the ball of your foot well forward of the pedal when you have done so. It's quite easy to clip back in when you don't want to.
It's worth it, by the way.

Custom24

Über Member
I still have not gone fully clipless. I use half clipless, half flat, pedals, and pro-actively unclip on approach to places where I might need to unclip. I find them also quite good off road. I have still fallen off with them, though, but only once badly.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If it's any consolation, I have had clipless moments even after 20+ years and I am the type that unclips naturally by instinct as I launch over the bars when MTB'ing so I guess I would have had the same falls even with clips and straps? My 11yr old tried Look clipless pedals for the first time today on a fixed gear track bike and got on just fine, just one fall and that was only because he had intended to grab the side rail but stopped too far away......

Ste pt1

I got myself some shimano 530 clipless and Some shimano mt33 shoes for my hybrid ,it was great on the road didn't gave any problems but then I went off road and hit a steep hill got into the wrong gear and that was me down and out ,luckily no one saw me I got back up and dusted myself down

Cubist

Still wavin'
Someone is selling some PD a530 pedals I. The classifieds. Good starter pedals for a road bike.... Takes an SPD cleat so you can walk in your shoes off the bike.

Ste pt1

I think going clipless takes time on an open road there great but I still forget to clip out when slowing down or stopping in traffic

Top Bottom