Verbal abuse of elderly people - is it ever justified? I think it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
For instance, in circumstances as below:-
Was cycling up a hill this morning in secondary position with an elderly gentleman walking towards me on the outside of the adjacent pavement, with a dog on the inside and a walking stick in his left hand.
As I approached him, a car overtook whose driver he greeted by waving his stick. It pivoted upwards in an arc and missed my head by a hair's breadth only because I saw it coming at the very last moment and ducked slightly. Had I been wearing a helmet, his stick would have connected.
"You silly old basket! Why can't you be more careful?" Was the best I could muster.
All I got from him was a helpless gape.
Fido managed a yap.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Was the dog sort of yellow-coated, and did the fella have sunglasses on? ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Everyone makes the odd mistake regardless of age - some trivial and some serious but they are mistakes. Why do some people have to resort to abuse?

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
rich p said:
Why do some people have to resort to abuse?

Maybe because it is a natural human instinct to upbraid a person who very nearly hurt you through their own carelessness.
I think he got off pretty likely.

cchapman

You could have just said, "please be more carefull.". The message would have got through without any unpleasantness.
It does rather sound like the opening scene for some BBC/Agatha Christie style/rural English 1930's period piece,

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
cchapman said:
You could have just said, "please be more carefull.". The message would have got through without any unpleasantness.
It does rather sound like the opening scene for some BBC/Agatha Christie style/rural English 1930's period piece,

So I may only be abusive if he had connected then?

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
So I may only be abusive if he had connected then?

I think what he is getting at is why be abusive at all, an accident is an accident.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
the best response in such situations is "I say!"

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
col said:
I think what he is getting at is why be abusive at all, an accident is an accident.

I know that's what he's getting at.

Ok: what if it'd been a chav waving a baseball bat at his friend in a Corsa?

col

Legendary Member
betty swollocks said:
I know that's what he's getting at.

Ok: what if it'd been a chav waving a baseball bat at his friend in a Corsa?

Oh god here we go with the what if this what if that?;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Must say in a situation like this I rarely have the presence of mind to verbalise - I just yelp. Invariably they apologise profusely, and - I can't help suspecting - make a mental note to be more careful in future.

tyred

Legendary Member
We all make mistakes regardless of age so we all have to be accept that other people will occasionally give us a mouthful for making mistakes. I don't think it's wrong so long as someone doesn't totally over-react to some minor issue.

Top Bottom