Verenti Kilmeston wheel bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

My old Kilmeston, its a size too big for me but we had some adventures together before it went on turbo duties,

I've Just dug it out the shed either to sell or ride, but the wheel bearings need some grease and its not a standard set up, possible sealed bearings, so how do I get in?

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try giving the end caps a tub with some needle nosed pliers. Also remove QR and see if the axel has any hex key shape

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Try giving the end caps a tub with some needle nosed pliers. Also remove QR and see if the axel has any hex key shape

Thank you, I'll have a play with it tomorrow, the front looks like its held with a little grub screw, no sign of a grub screw on the back though, I reckon they are just covers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Thank you @fossyant , you were almost spot on, non drive side 5mm alan key in the axle, 17mm cone spanner and of it came, popped the seal cleaned and greased no problem, drive side, took the top of the cassette off and the axle is an odd size, I seem to remember one manufactuer doing this but can't remember which one, the wheels are branded Verenti, so a 5mm is too big and a 4mm is too small, so had to leave it, I've a collection of alan keys that includes some odd ones but I couldn't find any that fitted. The front was dead easy, theres a grub screw each side, just undo the grub screw and slide it of. bikes ten year old and is in surprisingly good condition.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
a 5mm is too big and a 4mm is too small, so had to leave it, I've a collection of alan keys that includes some odd ones but I couldn't find any that fitted.
Probably either 4.5 mm or an inch size.

4.5 mm is never part of a set, but isn't too difficult to find as an individual key.
3/16" comes out at 4.76 mm, and is in most imperial sets; 11/64" is 4.37 mm, but appears to exist as 1/4" hex bits only; 5/32" is almost exactly 4 mm.

Top Bottom