Very ANNOYING Bike creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi Guys

There is a very annoying creak on my bike!

Then coasting no noise, it seems the more force put through the pedal the noiser the creak.

If I put the bike it lowest gear no creak or very quiet.

Its not the seat post or the seat.

I took off crank bolts, greased them.

Not water bottle cages.

What else to check before going to BB??

THANKS

Drago

Legendary Member
How do you know it's not the seat or the post?

From the description if very well could be the BB, but it would help to understand by what scientific method you have eliminated other components.

kipster

Guru
I’ve got a fairly similar creak, I was convinced it was the bb but changed it and noise still there. I then noticed play in the free hub, no idea it that is the source but I’m changing the free hub bearings on Friday.

Mine is crank rotation based, but happens whenever force is put through either pedal.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

I’ve got a fairly similar creak, I was convinced it was the bb but changed it and noise still there. I then noticed play in the free hub, no idea it that is the source but I’m changing the free hub bearings on Friday.

Mine is crank rotation based, but happens whenever force is put through either pedal.
Mate same here! The more force the louder the creak!

OP
OP
L

Lauris

How do you know it's not the seat or the post?

From the description if very well could be the BB, but it would help to understand by what scientific method you have eliminated other components.

Because when I stand up it still creaks.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hi Guys

There is a very annoying creak on my bike!

Then coasting no noise, it seems the more force put through the pedal the noiser the creak.

If I put the bike it lowest gear no creak or very quiet.

Its not the seat post or the seat.

I took off crank bolts, greased them.

Not water bottle cages.

What else to check before going to BB??

THANKS

Suggestions:

1. Rear QR.
2. All fixing bolts. Even if nothing attached to them (bottle cages, rack fixings, anything else)
3. Bars/stem. Try putting front wheel between your knees and wrenching hard in all three axes to replicate.
4. Try to replicate stationary: Bounce on one pedal at a time. If you can replicate, you can find it!

Luck.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unlikely to be BB as it’s a square taper but disconnect the chain and apply force to the pedals to try and replicate the noise and eliminate it. Pull the cranks to feel for any play. Also hold the front brake on and pull/push the bars to check the headset.

Kajjal

Guru
I had this with same symptoms and it was the headset bearing had gone due to water ingress. Took me a while to workout and only noticed while stripping it down to regrease. The front was a bit notchy and stiff to turn. Replaced bearing and all fine.

Also had similar with :-

loose chainset bolts
Rear wheel hubs freewheel failing
Pedals needed stripping down / regreasing

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My pedals and cleats creak so I lube them every six weeks or so. I once had a creak which my LBS simply could not find. I walked in to the shop one day to collect it and was handed a pair of cleats and asked to replace my old ones. Solved the problem.

The point is to look at absolutely everything!

Top Bottom