Very Fat bloke looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
adds21 said:
The bottom line is that enjoy cycling, and feel cheated on the rare occasions I have to drive to work rather than cycle (I would never have believed that of me 2 years ago! - Exercise was something other people did!).

Keep it up!

That's me too. It just became fun rather than some kind of excercise chore.

Don't worry if your first two miles felt really hard. Mine did too, in fact I thought I would be sick into a bush in Battersea Park. Things have got a whole lot better.

Have fun.

Alan Whicker

Well done. Before you know it, cycling will stop feeling like 'exercise' and it'll just be part of life. Every journey is worth doing on a bike, even if its just nipping round to pick up a newspaper.

Out of interest, what bike did you get? If its got knobbly off road tyres, it's well worth changing to slicks (unless you're riding off road most of the time). It'll make a huge difference.

- Baz -

Just wanted to add my congrats! 2 miles is a superb start.

A couple of really excellent inspiring books - both by John 'The Penguin' Bingham. Both are about running, but apply equally to cycling. Both are easy reads, well written, and WILL make you want to keep churning out the miles (whether running or cycling):

Good luck!

The Courage to Start: Running for Your Life
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Courage-Sta...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277587481&sr=1-1

No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the World of Running
http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Need-Speed-Beginners-Running/dp/1405067241/ref=pd_sim_b_1

OP
OP
R

richtea78

Thank you for all the advice and stuff to read, will go through and take a look at it all.

As to bike I got a Scott Sub 20 and it has slick tyres as a friend told me to get that for road cycling. Eventually Id like to be able to go out cycling with him but he does 20+ miles of an evening so have a fair way to go.

I thought about setting myself some small goals and getting on with them, ideally Id like to be able to cycle to work. Embarressingly its about 3 miles away and I drive in. Id like to be able to cycle it but at the moment dont think so but that will be my one of my goals. I realise that 3 miles each way is pretty short but at the moment it seems like a long way!

Also someone said about the doctor. I can check with him too but I am fairly sure he will approve. I have Crohn's disease and so regularly go to the doctors and while he doesnt really nag about my fitness I know its an issue he would be happy I was addressing.

I have to say at the moment though I didnt enjoy it, it felt like really hard work and as a fatty I hate hard work! I do feel pretty pleased with myself now even though its just 2 miles its still 2 more miles than I did yesterday! I did used to cycle a lot when I was a kid, I used to enjoy it then, just need to get back to that rather than now:smile:

Congrats on the 2 miles.... and well done for thinking ahead and having some goals to aim for.

Feeling pleased with yourself is the best, no matter what the distance or time. Thats the feeling that will keep you cycling....and wanting to go that little further when you are able to.

timmcp

Welcome richtea, fantastic that you have had that light bulb moment as many of us have had on here and decided you want to change your life. I only started cycling 12 months ago, was overweight, ate the nasty foods :wahhey: etc, but decided it was time to change, bought a bike and off I went, the first week I clocked up 7 miles, but that was 7 miles more than the week before, as you say 2 miles is 2 miles, just keep going at it and eventually you build up a bit each time. If you feel like setting yourself little goals than do so, the only person that matters is you and how you feel.

Since I started I have lost just over 2 stone and cycle around 50 miles over a weekend period, thats comfortable for me, I try and get a few smallish hills in as well, but if you had told me that 12 months ago when I got off the bike in my first week doing a good impersonation of John Wayne walking I'd of laughed at you.

Gaz's journey so far was also an inspiration to me and if I met you Gaz, i'd shake your hand and say thank you. Just stay with it richtea and take it day by day, week by week, etc, in few months time you will be giving advice out to the next person to come along like you. Cant say I have seen anybody on here who is judgmental about anybody, plus you will get loads of excellent advice and tips. Good luck anyway, I wish you well :shy:

Threelionsbrian

I'll be a hard slog with the fags ditched as well. You'll have bad days as well don't let a bad day become a bad week it will take twice that to get back on track. Gaz is going brilliantly and once you start to feel the difference instead of aches and pains you will be well on your way. It's in the mind you want it go get it. good luck, lapses hold me back from really beating the weight. At least i feel like a cyclist now rather than a fat person on a bike.

again good luck on all three missions!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Well done !!!

For many, the hardest part of any training is just getting out of the front door !

The only advice that I'd give you, would be to make sure that you aren't trying to push too high a gear. Also, make sure that your saddle is at the correct height. I see many cyclists who ride with the saddle far too low - their legs are pretty much 90 degrees all the time . . . . . . . which is very tiring.

Bayerd

Über Member
richtea78 said:
I did used to cycle a lot when I was a kid, I used to enjoy it then, just need to get back to that rather than now:smile:

Trust me, it'll come quite quickly.

Last August I was 4 stone heavier than I am now. The first time I went out on the bike I went down into the village where I live and went to go up a hill I thought I'd manage easily (thinking back to how I rode as a kid 20 years ago). Anyway, I got 2 3rds of the way up this short and not particulary steep hill in 1st gear middle ring and had to stop. My lungs were burning and my legs had had enough. I got my breath back and carried on to the top.

A week later I managed to get to the top of it in one go. Today I ride up it 4 gears higher and hardly get out of breath.

To achieve it I just went out more or less every day. Even through the winter. I just slowly increased the daily milage. Now my typical ride is about 12 miles first thing. Sets me up for the day, I feel great for doing it.

You will too.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
pubrunner said:
Well done !!!

For many, the hardest part of any training is just getting out of the front door !

The only advice that I'd give you, would be to make sure that you aren't trying to push too high a gear. Also, make sure that your saddle is at the correct height. I see many cyclists who ride with the saddle far too low - their legs are pretty much 90 degrees all the time . . . . . . . which is very tiring.

Absolutely. Get the saddle at the correct height. It is much harder to pedal if it's too low. Your Local Bike Shop will give you excellent advice on this, and lots of other good tips. Find a good local one, and you will not regret it.

rh100

Good luck with it, it will become easier for you, just don't let it punish you by trying too much, and you will find you have a new enjoyable hobby.

Take the advice about getting the bike comfortable etc, my main issue was the saddle and the tyres to start with, things started to improve quickly once i got those sorted.

best wishes.

alasdairgf

Good on yer. I recently started, too - also because of weight. I'll second what someone said above, it's amazing how fast you get fitter, in the beginning at least. My first trip was about 3 miles, near killed me. I did 9 today pretty fast (for me!), and came back feeling bushed, but good. Have done 15 miles, not as fast, and planning my first 20 in the next week or two. I've only been at this for 6 weeks or so - hope this makes you feel a bit better!

alasdairgf

Oh yes, if you haven't already, get your bike properly serviced at your local bike shop - especially if it's old (or just crap, as in my case!). In some cases, some tightening up and perhaps replacing things you hadn't realised weren't working properly can really make a difference.

Beedee

Take control Richtea, know how many calories your taking in and burning off. Two good sites to help you, Foodfocus.co.uk and Mapmyrun.com oh and buy some kitchen scales.

shippers

Good news is flooding your way!
1- Cycling is a fantastic way of losing weight. Less imact on joints than running, not incredibly dull like swimming up and down a pool.
2- You've started. 2 miles is more than last week, less than next week.
3- You've found this website. You sent a post in saying "I'm fat and rubbish at this. Motivate me" and about 20 people have pitched in.
4- You'll probably find in the next few weeks that your diet improves without you having to do much about it. You'll not get in from a 10 mile ride (You'll be there in no time) and want a burger.

Now the bad news.
1- You're going to get hooked.
2- You'll need a lot of storage space for all your new bikes
3- You're going to end up buying lycra clothing.
4- Eventually you're going to convince yourself that it's worth paying £1000 rather than £800 or a bike because the groupset is better.
5- Do you need a winter bike..?

Right, turn the computer off and go for a pootle round.

Top Bottom