Very Fat bloke looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

Just fitted this Argos computer - for a tenner - a couple of days ago. Bought it on a whim, but pleased with it.

Wanted to spend more as I tend towards the geeky, but I know myself - I'll end up fetishing distance & speed, when the reason for me biking is really about kilos & calories! It's good to know how fast & far I'm going, but I'm trying to concentrate on TSiS (Time Spent in Saddle!) as my major metric.

(Having said all that, it's inevitable that the geek in me will force me to spend £150 on something with a GPS in it before long, just because they exist!)

Hello Richtea. I have just read through this whole thread, and well done to you. I am another recent returner to cycling after many years away, and after a few months and by making a few small changes to diet, as well as doing some cycling, I have lost over a stone, with maybe the best part of another stone to go to get back to a sensible weight. I am treating it as a long tern project, not trying to lose it all at once, and I wish you every success with your quest.

OP
OP
R

richtea78

I havent ordered a computer yet as the inner geek in me is having a field day. Im very tempted to go for a all signing dancing one with GPS and the works but its hardly justifed for my 3-5 mile routes :rolleyes:

However I have been keeping track and have now cycled 20 miles this week, which I am impressed with as thats probably 20 miles more than Ive done in the last 15 years! Plan is to do it again next week but faster and less walking on the hills and then after that I will start thinking about cycling to work:smile:

potsy

Rambler
I was very nervous about my 1st commute,had the bike a few weeks and done a few rides of 6ish miles which left me shattered,decided to do it on the Monday 18 mile round trip,mate came with me 1st time to show me the route etc.was amazed at how much I enjoyed it and it wasn't half as bad as I'd imagined.Apart from a big hill near work which I walked up for 1st week,got half way up on week 2,and then was able to manage the whole way albeit very slowly.
If you think you're ready soon then go for it,you'll enjoy work much more too,I actually look forward to going now just because I'm on the bike.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Of course, if you are eating and drinking too much, you need to deal with those issues, but slowly you will train your metabolism to burn fat. You don't need to ride hard to do that. Just ride below the rate where you breathe hard. That will probably mean staying on the flat for a while.

The other thing--more important than distance or rate at this point--is consistency. Get plenty of rest between rides. No need to ride every day, but do so several times a week.

Other than that, read and study ... websites and books like Bike for Life. Here's an inspirational story that might help.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Well done Richtea, at least you are doing something about it so many people just cannot be arsed. I am very much like you but not overweight, but am recovering from a major knee op. This is taking longer than it should because I have been lazy and not doing that much exercise to build up my wasted muscles. I am starting to get into cycling, although it is mainly on a turbo trainer as this weather does nothing for me. I have also just given up smoking as I was finding the turbo trainer extremley hard work. I have packed in many times before and for very long periods, once around 7 years. You are doing very very well packing in for 6 weeks. You are also doing the right thing trying to keep fit as this helps much more with your state of mind than packing in and sitting around doing nothing, as it usually leads to eating more (well in my case anyway) and feeling down and stressed/anxious. I hope it all works out for you, just stick to it 2 miles is good going. My in-laws are overweight and do absolutely nothing except moan about it, 0.5 miles on a bike would be far too much for them and probably kill them. You are doing extremley well combining dieting, exercise and stopping smoking all at once. The majority of people struggle with just one of those, stick at it :thumbsup:

Norm

Rich last posted on 29th July last year, and last visited on 27th August last year. I think you may need to shout a bit louder to get hold of him. :biggrin:

Firstly a massive well done for taking the initative to live a more healthy lifestyle! :smile:

I've got to be honest with you, exercise is very important but the main thing to focus on at first IMO is to change your diet. You can still lose weight through exercise obviously but you could puts loads of effort into exercising and still not lose much weight. I've learnt this the hard way myself, put loads of effort into cycling (massive effort), then lowered my level of cycling quite a lot, started eating a bit more and put on a few stone and was back to square one again.

However, even if your weight, exercise and diet do fluctuate a bit during this process, the important thing to remember is just how good for your body cycling is. It's regular exercise for your heart muscles, great for your lungs and builds stamina and endurance., it also gets you outdoors in the freshair. You can be the slimest person in the world but if you don't do regular exercise you won't get any of that.

edit: whoops didn't realise the OP was in June.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
That's a shame silly me for not looking at the dates :whistle: Looks like he could of maybe had a relapse.

Thats why I gave this a BUMP, I was thinking the same, but I have been there and done that and if he has, can help him thought it, seems like a few people missed the point of me bumping this though :whistle: :whistle:

Norm

...seems like a few people missed the point of me bumping this though :whistle: :whistle:
If you are referring to my post when you say 'a few people', I not only did your point but I directly responded to it.

To make it a bit less subtle, it's been nearly 6 months since Rich visited. There's little chance that reaching out like this will have the desired effect unless you've also dropped him a PM which may have triggered an email to him.

Also, whilst you post might have been in that knowledge, it was evident that others had missed the dates.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
If you are referring to my post when you say 'a few people', I not only did your point but I directly responded to it.

To make it a bit less subtle, it's been nearly 6 months since Rich visited. There's little chance that reaching out like this will have the desired effect unless you've also dropped him a PM which may have triggered an email to him.

Also, whilst you post might have been in that knowledge, it was evident that others had missed the dates.

no mate, not at all

Sleeping Menace

Theres no point mincing about with niceties, I am massively overweight and extremely unfit. I have done very little exercise for several years and nothing regular for at least 10.

Im not making excuses, I eat too much and dont do much but I decided to do something about it. I got a bike a couple of weeks ago and have been out on it most days but so far I can only manage 2 miles and thats really hard.

Ive cut down the crappy foods I used to eat, and dont drink much alchohol. I gave up smoking 6 weeks ago.

I am looking for some advice on getting a bit fitter and what I can and cant do, if any one knows any good books that would be a real help. I dont want to over do it as really I must be a heart attack just waiting to happen! But I dont want to be fat for ever, its just a case of finding a balance between too little and a heart attack!

I look forward to hearing from any advice.

First of all, congrats on making the move.. it's very difficult to do -- more power to you.
I'm sure others have said it, but have you consulted your doctor prior to starting to exercise? If you're as out of shape as you're describing, it'd be a very wise idea.

RE: 2 mile rides :There's nothing at all wrong with starting out with a couple of miles.. Your body will need a bit of time to acclimate to exercising again.
You've given up smoking (was the most difficult thing I ever did too) 6 weeks ago.. so your lungs are still clearing out a bit.. you'll find that with a bit of consistent and moderate exercise, your breathing will become easier..you'll have more capacity to exercise.
One thing I cannot stress enough is to hydrate. It's very common for people who've not exercised in a while to forget just how much water the body needs when being worked. Dehydrating is very easy, and will make you feel rubbish -- can make that 2 miles, feel like you just struggled through 10. On the days you're going to ride.. try to make a conscious effort to sip water through the day, almost constantly. Ideally, before you set out for your ride.. your urine should run all but completely clear, meaning that you're well hydrated. You'll find this can make a huge difference in how you feel.
Also a bit of fruit (an apple is great, or a handfull of dried fruit) an hour and half before a ride seems to work well for me.
Whatever you do .. stick with it. You've taken a huge step.. and a worthy one. If there's anything I can help with, let me know.
Good Luck

Top Bottom