Very Fat bloke looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
richtea78 said:
Ive mapped out some bigger routes too around where I live, theres a nice 5 mile circuit that I am building up to trying but it has a killer of a hill on it. Its actually part of the London 2 Brighton route and they always have to walk up it as well so I guess there will be no shame if I have to. I will save this for the weekend though as if I need to stop halfway I will have more time.

I would be willing to bet that, if you start doing that route semi-regularly, you'll be cycling up that hill without stopping in two or three months.

If my experience was anything to go by, then one of the best things about starting out cycling is that you see a massive improvement surprisingly quickly. I had a 3 mile route I used to do which included a hill. When I first did the route I stopped lots of times (seriously, 5 or 6 or something). I now do part of the route pretty much every day on my way to work, and can't believe I used to have to stop!

I can't praise the benifits of cycling enough! I haven't lost as much weight as I was hoping, but I feel so, so much better than I ever have!

g00se

Veteran
Hi. Well done so far. A tip on signalling. You can wobble if you have weight on the handle bars. Taking one hand off can make you inadvertently steer. When you're about to signal, try to hold your body up using your core muscles rather than supporting on your hands - pedalling and not freewheeling can help with that - then you're less likely to inadvertently steer on lifting one hand off the bars.

Arch

Married to Night Train
richtea78 said:
Ive mapped out some bigger routes too around where I live, theres a nice 5 mile circuit that I am building up to trying but it has a killer of a hill on it. Its actually part of the London 2 Brighton route and they always have to walk up it as well so I guess there will be no shame if I have to. I will save this for the weekend though as if I need to stop halfway I will have more time.

Good god, not Ditchling Beacon!?

The results are actually quite interesting and quite scary at the same time. I know they arent scientific but its a useful tool to motivate me. It comes with a programme that you upload everything too that makes a graph of all your horrible statistics and I think this will be very handy to keep my going. I like graphs :biggrin:

If it works for you, it's a good idea. Since I've been logging my milages (first on Cyclogs, and then on MyCyclingLog, as part of the CC team), it's often helped me do that extra couple of miles when I would otherwise have turned for home.

In terms of losing weight, I don't know what your eating habits are but for me it was portion control - cooking too much, and then eating it all. By gradually reducing the amount I cook (esp pasta, I way overestimated what I needed), I've trained myself to eat less - now I'm just nicely full after a meal, not stuffed. And where I used a whole tin of tuna in a pasta sauce, I use half, and so on. My weight loss has been slow and steady - just over a stone in the last year, but it's proving relatively easy to maintain, and I'm still shedding a little, gradually.

Also of course, the weight of fat you lose is partly balanced by the weight of muscle you increase - so you may find that eventually you stop losing wieght, but carry on getting slimmer.

Benthedoon

I was in a similar position, smoked for the last 22 years had 'minor' drug and alcohol problems, stopped all forms of exercise about 5 years ago and I do like eating (fry ups and cake mainly) then about 2 months ago I thought about my 4 beautiful kids and maybe I should change things so Im around to see them grow up, so I starting riding my old MTB to work then 6 weeks ago I gave up smoking (the hardest part) Ive changed my diet etc etc.
There's alot of support on here if you feel you need it.
Slow and steady, it's the only way.
2 miles hurt 2 months ago but I manage a few more than that now even treated myself to a new bike with the money I got from selling the car.

OP
OP
R

richtea78

I did nearly 5 miles today, although at one point I did get overtaken by some joggers while I pushed my bike up the hill. I really want to get a computer now as I want to start timing myself, I think I will stick to this route for a while.

Also I was wondering if any larger people knew of any where I could get a jacket from to where on a bike, something that would make me more visible. Although its broad daylight in some of the lanes the tree cover is thick and I want to make sure I stand out. Most places Ive tried only have 2XL and thats not going to fit for a while.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hey! There, you've doubled up on that 2 miles, and a bit.

There are loads of computers out there - a basic one will do you fine, it'll tell you your speed, your distance, and the time you are riding, and perhaps an average.

For the jacket - in the warm weather, a hi-vis vest should be enough for you - I'd have thought a builders merchant or similar would have some larger sizes. By the time you need a winter coat, you might be a bit smaller!

Benthedoon

For some good pointers on entry level computers check 'cycle computers, too much choice' I got some good info from that thread. I'm sure there's lots about computers on here if you look.

I would say spend a few quid on a better entry level computer or choose pretty much any Cateye or Sigma

Boght a Velomann from CRC and it has broken, just reads an error even after resetting, the brackets were crap..horrible cable-tied on affair.

The less cable-ties in the pack the better.

Benthedoon

Somebody mentioned VDO computers to me as they all come with a 5 year warranty, a quick search and I found 1 for £23 and it did everything you'd want: current/ average speed, distance, time etc. and I believe it was wireless so no cable ties in the bag.

allen-uk

Same sort of size as you. Bought an Altura Nightvision, after looking around at the cheaper alternatives, which just weren't as good, not for cycling. Even tried a police-type full length yellow jacket, but it was far too hot and big!

Anyway, there is a 3XL Altura, which I've got, and it was quite good at 112kg, but a tad tight at 120kg, but does the job either way. This place is one of the cheapest:

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=9105

- I bought mine from there.

Good luck.

Allen.

Arch

Married to Night Train
allen-uk said:
Anyway, there is a 3XL Altura, which I've got, and it was quite good at 112kg,

I read that and thought, that's bloody heavy for a coat!

I second Cateye for good value basic computers. Personally, I prefer wired, having had a wireless play up on me.

rh100

allen-uk said:
Same sort of size as you. Bought an Altura Nightvision, after looking around at the cheaper alternatives, which just weren't as good, not for cycling. Even tried a police-type full length yellow jacket, but it was far too hot and big!

Anyway, there is a 3XL Altura, which I've got, and it was quite good at 112kg, but a tad tight at 120kg, but does the job either way. This place is one of the cheapest:

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=9105

- I bought mine from there.

Good luck.

Allen.

+1, I got one very similar from there, as recommended by Norm. It is a tad tight when done up, but is fine when left open. It's light enough to not get too hot and copes well in the rain also.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have had two Halfords 5 function wired computers for about 18 months on the Commuter bike and 7 months on the road bike.Both have given good reliable service and are quite accurate if set up right.

Cost about £10

I bought a Polaris rain jacket from Halfords which looked good in Hi Vis orange but it leaked so badly in even light rain I took it back and had a refund. Now have an endura Gridlock jacket which is great.

Cost about £45

Top Bottom