Very fat bloke needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cyberdad said:
He also said that foods like pasta and rice eaten within half an hour of the end of exercise don't count towards any daily food total I might be tempted to measure. :birthday:

Ummm, that bit is rubbish by the way!

This has to be one of the most uplifting threads on the forum. Good for you Cyberdad. Well done!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Well done Cyberdad thats awesome!

As for your brothers suggestion that you dont 'count' pasta etc that you eat 30 minutes after exercise...This is not strictly true, but the body does burn calories faster just after excercise as your metabolism is faster.

You are doing the right thing not counting calories as it can have a negative impact mentally sometimes as the odd relapse or takeaway blows the calorie counting off the chart. IMHO its common sense, just cutting out the crap/junk in between meals that makes the biggest difference (hard when the kids are munching through packets of crisps and chocolate bourbons).

Cyberdad said:
I have to admit, I have started to use the bike as I did when I was a lad, and even if the journey is just a few hundred yards, it tends to be done on the bike :blush:

Fantastic! Thats exactly what we should be doing - using bikes like we did when we were kids..Then riding your bike just becomes second nature, and not a big organised outing etc..
Well done. I wish you many many more happy times on your bike..:laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Ummm, that bit is rubbish by the way!

Maybe it comes under the same category as food eaten standing up not counting, or food pinched of someone else's plate.;)

Arch said:
Maybe it comes under the same category as food eaten standing up not counting, or food pinched of someone else's plate.:evil:

:wacko:

As an ex-judo competitor I remember many stories about people trying to make the weight at weigh-ins. ( I used to fight -71kg when I started university, I have no idea how I ever weighed that little!).

One myth that went around one year was that if you stood on your head for 5 minutes just before the weigh-in you would weigh less on the scales. When I asked for an explanation of this, I was told, ' because the blood runs down the sides'. That explanation never made it into scientific publication. I should know I've looked! :biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
23 stone of last year has now reduced to 18st 12lbs

that is amazing. I also lost a fair bit of weight (not as much or from the same level) and it has transformed me

Where in the Forest are you? You should join up with us in the Southampton triathlon club....

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

Thanks for the encouragement guys :becool:

Jay, I live in Chandlers Ford...my daily trip is from Chandlers Ford to Bitterne Manor, and on the return journey I often detour to the airport to drop the meter post in at the sorting office....however I think a triathlon may be beyond me at the moment ;) I would probably do ok on the swimming and perhaps, eventualy, the cycling, but the running would kill both me and my knees at the moment :biggrin: Currently I am just enjoying re-discovering things I did as a lad, which I can now do with my kids....this usually involves getting muddy :cry:

col

Legendary Member
Cyberdad said:
Not too much. As a family, we had quite a healthy diet buried within the junk, and so I have just cut out a lot of the junk. I don't count calories or anything like that. The thing is that before I started cycling, my daily exercise consisted of walking from the front door to the car, and from the car to the office door, and that was it!

My brother, who is a couple of years younger than me is the opposite fitness wise. Since turning 40 he has run the London Marathon twice, both in times just over the 2 hours 30 minutes. He advised me not to worry about counting or measuring anything, but did say to extend my journey to make sure I was taking at least 30 minutes to complete it. He also said that foods like pasta and rice eaten within half an hour of the end of exercise don't count towards any daily food total I might be tempted to measure. I don't know if he is right, but it certainly seems to be working at the moment. :eek:

He is right, Its very low fat and goes well below the formula of 4.5 grams of fat per 100 grams, so you can eat as much as you like and still lose weight on it, as long as your relatively active. Jacket spuds, tuna in brine, tinned baked beans, fish or chicken boiled or grilled also come under this rule, so scoff away.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
As an ex-judo competitor I remember many stories about people trying to make the weight at weigh-ins. ( I used to fight -71kg when I started university, I have no idea how I ever weighed that little!).

Either that's a technical term I don't know about, or you had to be held down with guy ropes...

Arch said:
Either that's a technical term I don't know about, or you had to be held down with guy ropes...

I used to have to weigh less than 71kg! Now I would be fighting in the under 90kg weight category! :biggrin:

I was very skinny when I started uni, honest!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Arch said:

I fight the fat and have been for years, I was taking a real beating it was up to 114kg. I've got it beaten down to 110kg but the doughboy's trying to fight back, threw an unexpected kebab at me last night

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
I used to have to weigh less than 71kg! Now I would be fighting in the under 90kg weight category! :biggrin:

I was very skinny when I started uni, honest!

What's 71kg in real terms? (Sorry, I think in stones... And I could do with losing at least one of those).

McB, I know what you mean. Ducking those kebabs is difficult (well, in my case, it's ducking too big a portion of spag bol, followed by some cheese.)

Top Bottom