Very fat bloke needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

Hi Again,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but after all the great advice and encouragement I received when I posted last year, I thought I would report back.

The best bit of news is that the 23 stone of last year has now reduced to 18st 12lbs and continues to fall . My BSO continued to eat components, and by the time Christmas arrived I had been through another back wheel, and a front wheel, and no matter how much I adjusted them I just couldn't get the twist grip gears to work for more than two days in a row. Most of my riding has continued to be to work and back, but I have done a little bit of mild off road at the weekend, and have found some tracks which give an alternative route for part of the way to the office. I am quite proud that I have continued through the winter

Half way through January, the play in the bottom bracket became unbearable, and I started to get really fed up with having to get of and put the chain back on at least twice every trip. The final straw went when the third back wheel started to give way.

I decided that however financially painful it was, I had to get a new bike. I tried a number of different types, but decided in the end that I still liked the MTB style of bike rather than a hybrid or road bike.

I did quite a bit of research and had narrowed it down to a choice of a second hand Kona Hoss, or Giant XTC or a previous year Giant Terrago. An friend also suggested that I should look at a Carrera Kraken, but being a Halfords bike I was reticent.

I decided that I would pop into Halfords and just have a look, and was very pleasantly surprised. I had looked at all the sizing guides, and had decided that at 5’10” with a 30” inside leg, I needed an 18” frame. I asked the chap to get one down so I could try it. He looked at me and said he thought it would be too small – Here we go I thought, typical Halfords. I tried the 18”, and all the measurements and clearances were right, but it didn’t feel right. The Halfords chap said he really thought I out to try the 20”, and so I did, reluctantly. I hate to admit it, but he was right!

I paid my money, and was told the bike could be collected that afternoon, but there was obviously a look of concern on my face, as the Halfords chap looked at me and said “we will do it properly”!

I picked the bike up that afternoon, and rode it home….wow! They had put it together properly; gears just snicked into place, hills which previously made me puff just glided away beneath, and even the hard looking narrow saddle proved as comfy as the wide gel saddle I had fitted to the BSO, and the hydraulic are brilliant. By the last hill before home I had remembered the remote lock out for the forks – brilliant……..can you tell I’m pleased. The best bit was a new bike which does everything I had hoped and more for £349, with a free tool/cleaning/puncture kit thrown in for free.:evil:

As far as my winter jacket was concerned, the £19 waterproof fleece off eBay has turned out to be excellent, if a touch warm when I get really going. However, I would rather have that than be shivering.:biggrin:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Wow Cyberdad. That's fantastic news! You must be so pleased with the weight loss, and I can tell you're pleased with the bike:biggrin:. Imagine how much more fun it's going to be when the weather improves!

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

HelenD123 said:
Wow Cyberdad. That's fantastic news! You must be so pleased with the weight loss, and I can tell you're pleased with the bike:biggrin:. Imagine how much more fun it's going to be when the weather improves!

I can't wait :biggrin: I was very dissapointed at not being able to ride today because of the snow - if I hadn't changed the tyres for semi-slicks I might have risked it, but thought caution was the order of the day.

montage

God Almighty
Ideas for CHEAP bikes, that sometimes are not too bad quality....police auctions. :biggrin: Heard of a few decent bike go VERY cheap there, though I wouldn't hope too much that you get lucky there, could end up going to police auctions, wasting a day (or two) there and coming back empty handed. Though if you do get a bargin...then brilliant!

I know you didn't ask for new bikes, but even for spare wheels/tyres this could be a good bet.

Mortiroloboy

Cyberdad, what a fantastic journey you have been on, just reading this thread has made me smile, keep going, you have clearly been bitten by the cycling bug.:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

montage said:
Ideas for CHEAP bikes, that sometimes are not too bad quality....police auctions. :biggrin: Heard of a few decent bike go VERY cheap there, though I wouldn't hope too much that you get lucky there, could end up going to police auctions, wasting a day (or two) there and coming back empty handed. Though if you do get a bargin...then brilliant!

I know you didn't ask for new bikes, but even for spare wheels/tyres this could be a good bet.

Bikes are generally all collected at a centralized property store, monthly they are sent to a chosen charity for auction, you could always call your local nick, or better still pop into the front counter and ask if they will give you a contact number, generally a donation of about £20 to the chosen charity will secure you a bike.

ASC1951

Guru
Cyberdad said:
everyone who was whizzing past me seemed to have their saddle much higher than mine (unless they were under 20, in which case it was as low as it could go!! - why is that?)
Weird, isn't it? Round me the really cool yoofs have taken the seatpost out altogether. They look like numpties, but best not to diss their wheels unless you want your ribs opened up with a kitchen knife.

And another thing. Why do white yoofs of the same age shuffle round with their under-kecks slung round the tops of their cracks, and their jeans a foot below that? Even weirder.

A

another_dave_b

ASC1951 said:
Weird, isn't it? Round me the really cool yoofs have taken the seatpost out altogether. They look like numpties, but best not to diss their wheels unless you want your ribs opened up with a kitchen knife.

And another thing. Why do white yoofs of the same age shuffle round with their under-kecks slung round the tops of their cracks, and their jeans a foot below that? Even weirder.

I'm baffled that walking around with your trousers falling down can be considered fashionable. "Nowt so strange as folk" :biggrin:

RedBike

I'm not reading through all five pages so please excuse me if this has already been posted.

Get a set of slick tyres and make sure they're pumped up to their max pressure. You wont belive how much easier the bike is to pedal.

I would guess that your rear wheel has a screw on freewheel (The gears). Most of the commonly available rear wheels use a cassette and freehub which is a different system. You will need to be carefull which rear wheel you buy.

You probably don't want to be in the highest gear possible. Count how many times you push down the right hand pedal in a minute (or 30 secs and double it). You should be aiming for roughly 85 times. If you're under 70 on the flat then your in the wrong gear.

For clothing the key is layers. If your budget will allow get a good base layer.

Forgot to add; keep up the good work.
You're braver than me commuting in this weather!!

LLB

another_dave_b said:
I'm baffled that walking around with your trousers falling down can be considered fashionable. "Nowt so strange as folk" :biggrin:

It's called 'sagging'

Top Bottom