Very fat bloke needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cracking, well done. It's really good to hear how people are getting on. You've done really well, especially with the bike you've had and just think, you're still up on the money. 4 months of cycling has saved you a packet and added years to your life. A new bike is not much of a cost in comparison.

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

Crackle said:
Cracking, well done. It's really good to hear how people are getting on. You've done really well, especially with the bike you've had and just think, you're still up on the money. 4 months of cycling has saved you a packet and added years to your life. A new bike is not much of a cost in comparison.

That is so true health wise - not only do I have so much more energy, but I sleep a great deal better as well. One advantage I didn't expect was the way my outlook has changed. When I originaly posted last September, I was full of woes - running a mortgage broking company in the current climate is not a lot of fun. The situation now is quite possibly worse than it was then, but my attitude is different. I know it sounds silly, but somehow my cycle to the office and home again has given me a whole different outlook. I now notice things which have been blocked out for the last thirty years, and it gives me a perspective I had completely lost. It's hard to explain, but even riding home in the driving rain offers the expectation of a cosy welcome and nice meal - things (and people) I had taken for granted for too long. :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
tyred said:
Well done sir. You are an inspiration to us all.

Hear hear!

Well done!;)

I know it sounds silly, but somehow my cycle to the office and home again has given me a whole different outlook. I now notice things which have been blocked out for the last thirty years, and it gives me a perspective I had completely lost. It's hard to explain, but even riding home in the driving rain offers the expectation of a cosy welcome and nice meal - things (and people) I had taken for granted for too long.

This is the best bit, I think. Physical health is one thing, but with a strong mental attitude, you can overcome anything...

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Well done, Cyberdad! Have you reached the point where, when you need to go anywhere, your first thought is, "Can I do it on the bike?" THAT is when I realized that I was hooked!

You're an inspiration to me! I need to drop a stone or two, but I need an exercise that works my arms, more...such as that one where you push yourself away from the table! ;-)

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

threefingerjoe said:
Well done, Cyberdad! Have you reached the point where, when you need to go anywhere, your first thought is, "Can I do it on the bike?" THAT is when I realized that I was hooked!

You're an inspiration to me! I need to drop a stone or two, but I need an exercise that works my arms, more...such as that one where you push yourself away from the table! ;-)

I have to admit, I have started to use the bike as I did when I was a lad, and even if the journey is just a few hundred yards, it tends to be done on the bike :biggrin: I have even started making the kids take part, so that where I would have previously dropped them off in the car, I now cycle with them - I also tend to hang around and watch them a lot more than going home and coming back, which in itself is a good change.

I am determined to get to less than 15 stone by the end of July :laugh:

:smile:

I've just came across this thread. Well done that man! It's a great story. Fingers crossed your business picks up soon as well!

OP
OP
C

Cyberdad

The Jogger said:
Cyberdad, you've done absolutely brilliant. Did you adjust your diet as well as cycling?
Roy

Not too much. As a family, we had quite a healthy diet buried within the junk, and so I have just cut out a lot of the junk. I don't count calories or anything like that. The thing is that before I started cycling, my daily exercise consisted of walking from the front door to the car, and from the car to the office door, and that was it!

My brother, who is a couple of years younger than me is the opposite fitness wise. Since turning 40 he has run the London Marathon twice, both in times just over the 2 hours 30 minutes. He advised me not to worry about counting or measuring anything, but did say to extend my journey to make sure I was taking at least 30 minutes to complete it. He also said that foods like pasta and rice eaten within half an hour of the end of exercise don't count towards any daily food total I might be tempted to measure. I don't know if he is right, but it certainly seems to be working at the moment. B)

Top Bottom