Very high average heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanielK

Hi, all Im new.

Ihave been cycling for about 3 months, my rides are typically 20-40 miles twice a week. Im 28, 11st 6lb and i just use a regular cheap mountain bike with added skinny wheels. Nothing fancy at all.

I recently bought a wahoo heart rate monitor and key for my iphone.

I did a ride that lasted 2hr 45 today. and my average heart rate was 171, and my max 199. I sustained a heart rate of 170+ for 2hrs 10mins of the ride, Alot of the time it was over 180 for very long periods. From what ive read this doesnt seem right at all. I dont know if its a good or bad thing, is it healthy for me at that rate for so long?

Appreciate any advice

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I suppose it depends on your true max HR. It could also be that the monitor and iphone are not accurate or recording false readings? Have you found any similer queries online for this sensor / iphone combo?

OP
OP
D

DanielK

Yes i think im going to have to get another monitor to compare. I think 199 is my true max, it nearly killed me getting that reading lol. My resting rate is 65 ish with it, but ive not properly established that yet.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Try checking your resting pulse the old fashioned way.....with a watch with a second hand (or anything that will time an accurate minute) To do this turn your hand upwards (either hand) then look at where your thumb is. Now place 2 fingers of your other hand below the thumb of the upturned hand so that the top finger covers the wrist. Press very gently and you should feel your pulse. If not move your fingers a little towards the outer edge of your wrist and try again. A resting pulse below 70 or so is good. If it is about 80 that's ok. If it's much above 80 you should aim to find out why (often too much stimulant such as coffee/tea/cola or nicotine) Once you know your resting pulse it is easier to work out what you should aim for as your maximum pulse
Conventionally a male max heart rate is calculated as 220 - your age.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If you've only been cycling for a little while, it may be that it's a sign of your body adjusting. It might take a bit longer to build up the fitness. I remember when I was training, at the beginning, I used to run on the treadmill and my readings would be 180/205 and I remember when during the induction when I first joined the gym the guy was asking me whether that was a struggle for me- it wasn't but it just meant I needed to get fitter for my heart rate to drop to a more medium range.

However, if your HR monitor isn't reliable...that might be the thing to check first of all.

Different people are different. If you can manage that without any problems it shouldn't be a problem. Some people just have free revving hearts. But if you are worried by it, talk to your GP. You wouldn't go to your GP for advice on fixing your bike so why ask a cycling group about your medical concerns?

OP
OP
D

DanielK

If you've only been cycling for a little while, it may be that it's a sign of your body adjusting. It might take a bit longer to build up the fitness. I remember when I was training, at the beginning, I used to run on the treadmill and my readings would be 180/205 and I remember when during the induction when I first joined the gym the guy was asking me whether that was a struggle for me- it wasn't but it just meant I needed to get fitter for my heart rate to drop to a more medium range.

However, if your HR monitor isn't reliable...that might be the thing to check first of all.

Yeah same, i had no problem maintaining it on the flat, hit a hill and my legs start to go. Knowing my body i wont adapt much, i used to jog loads as a child, but it never ever got any easier for me no matter how much i ran. Same when weight training for 2 years, didn't make much progress. I have a stubborn body lol. My chest does hurt a few hours after i cease riding, but never whilst riding so it doesnt worry, feels like any other muscle ache.

mrandmrspoves

Im prone to white coat syndrome, so i wouldn't be able to check my resting heart rate manually, it will shoot up lol, best i just leave the thing on and let it do its thing

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hmmm, something tells me that maybe your training is not up to scratch if you can't see improvements? Overdoing it? Or are you noting down objective measures as sometimes it can feel like you're not making progress when you are.

With the right kind of consistent training you should see improvements.

OP
OP
D

DanielK

Different people are different. If you can manage that without any problems it shouldn't be a problem. Some people just have free revving hearts. But if you are worried by it, talk to your GP. You wouldn't go to your GP for advice on fixing your bike so why ask a cycling group about your medical concerns?

You dont know my GPs, so incompetent. Some of you have read alot of post, so you will have a guage on how normal it is, or not.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
What kind history have you got for exercise and endurance/aerobic based stuff?

If it's been a while, it might be better to try for less intensity (ie no hills if possible), more often and less distance say 10 miles three days a week? When that feel manageable then add a longer ride on top of that.

One of my mistakes was upping my amount of cycling when I first got into it- just rinsed myself out and made me ill over time. Not good, take your time with it and build up a good base fitness.

OP
OP
D

DanielK

Hmmm, something tells me that maybe your training is not up to scratch if you can't see improvements? Overdoing it? Or are you noting down objective measures as sometimes it can feel like you're not making progress when you are.

With the right kind of consistent training you should see improvements.

I never seem to progress , after 3 months of riding twice a week i cant say i notice much of an improvement. The first hour of riding is always horrible, then i get into a zone and its pretty easy for hours. My speed is pretty slow too. However i dont cycle with the aim of getting fit or riding fast, i just enjoy cycling, so it doesnt bother me. I only have the device as i love gadgets and I only brought up the heart rate issue out of curiousity, seems like the answer is inconclusive. I will get a second monitor tomorrow, see if the stats match :smile:

Thanks all, i appreciate the input.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
You probably need to ride more than twice a week (of slightly less distances) and take it easy to warm up as if your first hour is tough then maybe try and ease into it a bit more?

Top Bottom