England : Kent Very late Christmas Whitstable Night Ride - Isle of Thanet - 10th January 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As I mentioned before, I'm planning to board the slow diddly-dum train at Bromley South to arrive at Whitstable not long before midnight. I may, in a fit of efficiency, go for the one before that, but I doubt it. In the morning I have a half formed plan to continue on to Maidstone in the morning, depending on state of legs, weather, etc.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
As I mentioned before, I'm planning to board the slow diddly-dum train at Bromley South to arrive at Whitstable not long before midnight. I may, in a fit of efficiency, go for the one before that, but I doubt it. In the morning I have a half formed plan to continue on to Maidstone in the morning, depending on state of legs, weather, etc.
I'm on dat late choo choo. I'll look out for you.

U

User10571

Wishing all participants a very fine ride.
Not sorry to have gone for the under-the-duvet option.
Ride safe, all.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Charlie & I are just arriving in Whitstable. We may be some time....

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Turns out Andrew was in another part of the train so all 3 of us set off on the damp roads of Whitstable. Not far from the station we came across about 4 assorted ambulances dealing with an incident and suddenly we were on quiet roads and then the eerie silence of the Crab & Winkle Way.

Canterbury only seems to have 2 nightclubs as it was very quiet. In that's been tonight's theme. I think we've had 2 cars go past in 20 miles. We're currently in Tesco's in Dover.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
And now I'm on my own personal train HS1 speeding through the Kent countryside in glorious sunshine. We all had a great time, riding along at a modest but constant pace (as we had to eke out the miles so that we didn't arrive before The Waterfront opened at 8:30).

When we reached the coast at Deal, we saw the ominous black clouds offshore, reaching towards us with dark tentacles like the Grim Reaper. Fortunately the wind was with us and it wasn't until we got to Margate that some water started to hit us. It wasn't rain, more heavy drizzle although by now the wind was more in our faces making it a bit of a slog. However, as it got lighter, everything brightened up, so after Reculver, it had stopped, and then we were on the home straight (unlike a banned horse we were subsequently watching on the TV in The Waterfront, called Mad Moose). Breakfasts were ordered and devoured.

I need to tweak the route in a couple of places as it would be great to run this in the summer when we'd see so much more.

Thanks Charlie & Andrew for turning up & riding along.

We also thanked the staff at The Waterfront for looking after the FNRttC mob so well.

Last edited:
U

User10571

You mentioned Beltinge.....
So did you follow the costal path after Margate or did you take to the roads?

Top Bottom