England : Kent Very late Christmas Whitstable Night Ride - Isle of Thanet - 10th January 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the return of the Christmas Night Ride!

As a way of sobering up after User's London Night out, how about a little night ride. Starting at midnight Friday 20th December from Whitstable Station, floating over the hills to Canterbury, then a bit of grunting on the Kent Weald, before zooming along quiet lanes for a pitstop at the 24 hour Tesco just outside Dover. Then it's a screaming descent down to the coast, and then basically follow the sea all the way back to Whitstable. Sometimes we'll be almost in the sea. A wetsuit might be handy for those of a nervous disposition. Christmas decorations optional (but will be appreciated).

The approximate route is shown here. A total of 72 miles, although there might be detours for places of artistic merit and/or large waves. Breakfast will be at the Waterfront Club, Whitstable.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
This sounds like fun, A. Go on then, stick me in - it's the only way I'm going to get my mileage target for this year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not been on the forum for a while. This is a distinct possibility, but I need to talk to Mrs Trousers first.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, I'm up for this if it's going ahead. There's a train scheduled to arrive in Whitstable at 23:51 which is what I would get. Weather permitting that is. I reserve the right to wimp out of horrible and/or dangerous weather.

U

User10571

You do realise, that the train arriving in Whitstable at 23:51, from London, on the last Friday before christmas is quite likely going to be something of a vomit comet..........
Just sayin' like.....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that, no. At least it's not the very last train. I'll be getting on at Bromley South so at least the Bromley dwelling vomiters will be off by then. And I'll get to laugh at the people waking up in Whitstable who really want to be in Bromley.

TimO

Guru
I'm toying with this, although the thought of two trips along the railway track between Bromley South and Whitstable doesn't totally inspire me (although I realise that you have to train it into London for a "normal" Night Ride!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry, I have to drop out.

A friend is in town for the evening and my effervescent gregarious social skills are required to ensure that all goes well. Or it could just be that a grumpy teetotal taxi driver is required.

A big shame because the weather is looking lovely at the moment.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Unfortunately the weather looks like it's going to be having the final word.

There had been a nice little clear gap showing for Friday night, but those dastardly westerlies are rushing in quicker. The Norwegians think we'll only get a very light splattering of rain showing by 3 am, and 1-2 mm by 9 am Saturday. However, everyone else seems to make out it's time for Noah to get out his Ark.

Bearing in mind the Norwegians seem to have lost their winning streak, having got it wrong for the Southend FNRttC, I'm going to pull the plug on this, and cancel, as it looks like it just wouldn't be fun, struggling in hard wind & rain.

Anyone interested in another attempt, for example on Friday 10th January 2014?

Last edited:
U

User10571

Strikes me as the right decision, FD.
If I am to play on this one, it will, as is currently usual, be a last minute decision for me.....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a probable for the 10th. I'm hoping to manage at least one 100k a month next year, and this would get the first one out of the way. And it's possible that, after refuelling at the Waterfront I might trundle on to Maidstone to make it 100m.

Usual weather caveats apply. I reserve the right to chicken out.

On another subject - who exactly are the "Norwegians", these weather forecasters who are held in such high esteem. (Maybe I shouldn't have asked that. I'm imagining an HM Bateman cartoon "The Man Who ... asked who the Norwegians are".

Top Bottom