Very nasty looking RTA this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Large stretch of the A52 between the markeaton island roundabout and markeaton lane closed off this morning:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...2.931413,-1.519074&spn=0.019194,0.032229&z=15

Decided to walk it and saw (along with a lot of fire engines, highways maintainance vehicles and police vehicles) an articulated lorry in the middle of the road and a grey golf in a bush.

I hope no one was seriously hurt, but I fear that sentiment may be rather niaive of me. Might hazard a guess that the artic was overtaking where it wasn't safe to and clipped the golf head on. It's a 40mph limit on that road but NO ONE pays attention to it and everything does at least 50mph, often 60 on that road. Hopefully after this they'll do a bit more on enforcing that limit.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Accident was fatal.

Mattyhew

i used to drive that road every day when i went to collage in Smackworth, very nasty and no one at all sticks to the speed limit !

Heart gos out to the family of the driver that was killed, i know just how they are feeling at the moment and what they have ahead :-(

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
Jez is talking bollox and if would have managed to get to the A52 five weeks ago he would have seen a lorry obeying the speed limit. The A52 is the main trunk road that runs between Nottingham and Derby and I can guarantee that not ''everyone'' speeds on that road.

Indeed you can because everyone travelling along that road will be speeding otherwise they would be stationary :thumbsup:. The issue is at what speed they are travelling, above the speed limit, and the speed is unlawful.

Mattyhew

User3143 said:
The sweeping generalization that everyone speeds on that road and that ''hazarding'' a guess that the truck may of been at fault.

In Derbyshire this is a well know road for speeders, its a low limit on a very long strait hill, they have even added a little parking space for the police to sit in and make some money out of the speeders, yet they all still keep there foot down !

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Yes. As you can tell from my posting record I hold all lorry drivers in low esteem:
https://www.cyclechat.net/

My 'gross generalisation' that everyone speeds on that road are based on me riding it every day and pretty much every car passing me at least 50mph, that and every colleague I've spoken to who drives on that road saying they tend to do 50 on it "because everyone else does".

Also the A52 is a very long road indeed. I'm referring to a small stretch of it.

Crankarm

Guru
Jezston said:
Yes. As you can tell from my posting record I hold all lorry drivers in low esteem:
https://www.cyclechat.net/

My 'gross generalisation' that everyone speeds on that road are based on me riding it every day and pretty much every car passing me at least 50mph, that and every colleague I've spoken to who drives on that road saying they tend to do 50 on it "because everyone else does".

Also the A52 is a very long road indeed. I'm referring to a small stretch of it.

You should ride the Fens where cars often pass at well over 70mph some over 100mph. On one strectch of road local council officials with speed cameras regularly recorded cars travelling at over 100mph, one car travelling at 124mph and lorries travelling at between 60-70mph. The road now has average speed cameras in place as it had several fatalities in as many years and is totally straight for about 5 miles, despite having a clearly and frequently indicated speed limit of 50mph on the road, signs and a huge Fen drain/dyke on one side. Closing speeds between approaching vehicles can be anything between 100-200mph. If you are a cyclist in the middle - terrifying.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
It's going to be the case that professional drivers who can and do obey the limit(adding that their vehicles are usually limited to a max speed anyway)will contest the point when they get moaned about and lumped in with the less sensible/courteous drivers.

It's very much the same for those cyclists who don't jump red lights. :sad:

Top Bottom