Very odd 'puncture'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StewartR

About 3 miles from home last night I noticed a bumping from my back wheel and quick inspection revealed a grape sized blister on the rear tyre. At the time I guessed the tube had pushed through the carcass and decided to limp on and sort it at home. About 300m down the road there was a loud bang but, oddly, no flat tyre. The blister had burst but that was it. I've yet to inspect but the only scenario I can come up with is that the 20psi I've been losing each day has left the tube but not the tyre - That the tyre itself has become pressurised. Anyone had a similar experience? All will, hopefully, be revealed when I get up close and personal with it tomorrow morning.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Beats me.

I'm looking forward to finding out though.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
One of my sons friends had a wierd puncture on his Royal Mail bike. He swears that it sounded just like his tyre was inflating itself with a loud woohoosh, that went on for about 30 seconds, time for him to stop and dismount. As he bent down to inspect what was happening it exploded. Never got to the bottom of that one !

OP
OP
S

StewartR

Well I looked but am none the wiser. The tyre has delaminated around the blister so is US but I haven't been able to confirm cause. I'm tempted to email Kenda.

Candaules

I had a blister like that on my rear tyre a month ago. I got home OK, took the tyre off and saw a weak spot inside (porous, stretchy look on the rubber). I put a new tyre on but decided to recycle the old tube (it looked Ok, had never been punctured, but did feel a bit tacky when I removed it). Halfway through pumping it up, the there was a loud bang. On inspection, I saw a split several cm long, near the valve (i.e., not where the blister had been).
Very odd!

Gary E

Veteran
Similar experience here a few weeks ago. Tube was fine but the cords in the tyre tyre had given up. That was a Kenda too, yours wasn't a Kenda Kiterium by any chance was it?

Gary E

Veteran
I did email Kenda with my concerns at the time (the tyre had only done about 600 miles from new) but they didn't bother to reply :sad:

OP
OP
S

StewartR

Tyre is...was a Kenda Kwick Roller. If I get anywhere with Kenda I'll follow up here but for now I'm moving over to a pair of Schwalbe Luganos. The bike (matt black Pinnacle Dolomite) needed a little extra colour anyway.

Top Bottom