Very Sobering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
On bank holiday monday there were reports that locally a cyclist was involved in a serious collision - the location is one I pass regularly on my rides.

Subsequently I read on an online news outlet that he'd sadly passed away - the article included his name.

For some reason I searched the name on strava, the ride in question had been uploaded - I played the flyby, I'm not sure why. Its really sobering and sad and I keep thinking about it.

Sharky

Guru
It can be really upsetting. I was riding a 25 in the late 60's and a rider that set off about 15 minutes before me went into the back of a parked car. When I went past, he was lying there on the ground with onlookers standing around, but I think it was too late. Something I will always remember and it was more the 50 years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was someone killed locally that was on one of my routes I used to commute on. Been a few deaths recently !

The GPS data was quite interesting when I had my spine broken - showed that the bike had been 'thrown' some distance, and also logged how long it had been on the floor, before someone collected it (height and movement detected). I'd already been whisked off to A&E.

I have had pretty much no problems with drivers over the lockdown period

But in the last week I have had 3 incidents - nothing serious just people either not seeing me or just ignoring me

which is strange and worrying

vickster

Legendary Member
While here in SW London, I've actually found things rather better since lockdown and easing - still less traffic on roads (although lots of vans in a hurry but still giving space), good weather so people chillaxed? Many more cyclists including kids so drivers maybe more aware?

DRM

Guru
it can be a shock, there was a cyclist killed in Wakefield a few years ago, on a road I've been on many times, a few months later I had a job at to do at one of my regular sites, I asked one of the lads where the supervisor was as I needed a signature for the job, only to be told it was him who had been killed commuting in to work.

Top Bottom