Very windy conditions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

I'm wanting a bit of advice from old hands..

I've been riding for a fair while but I've never encountered a period of such consistently strong winds so I've managed to fit my rides in over calmer days; tomorrow is my main chance to get out this week but the conditions are as follows:

Forecast A) Dry, Winds of 25mph Gusts of 45mph
Forceast B) Dry, Winds of 30mph Gusts up to 55mph

Now then, is riding a good idea in these conditions? I've ridden (you have to here) in winds of 20-30mph all the time but never with the gusts promised. Would you:

A) Plan a route on rural roads so there's not a lot of traffic to be blown into in case of a big gust, shorten the route to cope with the extra effort and ride in the most aerodynamic position etc (Basically make the best of it) or
B) Sack it off.

Any advice much appreciated.

C

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How confident are you that you can control the bike with a 55mph cross wind?
I rode in 53mph gusts the other day, and took it full onto the side as I went over a bridge, got shifted nearly a meter to the side.

Is it worth it?

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

I think if it was forecast A then i'd say no...i'm hoping it'll be more forecast B or somewhere in the middle at least.

I could go with the intention of turning around if it was too bad I guess.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't ride in high winds as we don't have a lot of hedge cover here in rural Norfolk, we also have large ditches at either side of the road. Having been blown into a ditch in windy weather, I tend to wait until the wind has died down as I don't have to ride in that weather.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
No way I'd go out in anything gusting over 30mph unless I have to (commuting). I certainly wouldn't ride with anyone in that as its too dangerous to ride close together.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Hmm it is a very place dependent decision; I have a couple of things working in my favor:

Rural roads with big hedges and trees and hardly any traffic; also, I'd not be with anyone so the risk of knocking each other off isn't a problem

Pretty sure i'll have to go out with the intention of turning around if it's too bad, the afternoon is better- Only 47mph gusts on forecast A and much less on B.

We'll see, it's nice to hear other peoples experiences though- I've not encountered gusting like this before!

C

It's a call you will make and will feel more comfortable making over time.

1. There is no loss of face in thinking it too windy to ride.
2. High wind speeds do not always make a dangerous ride. "Up to" means up to, not 'all day long'.
3. There are 'danger spots': Emerging from behind buildings, crossing a gate where a high hedge has been sheltering you, being passed by a high-sided vehicle.
4. Time when you look over your shoulder not to coincide with any of the above. For some reason it is easier to recover from a shove to the side when you are looking ahead.
5. If you don't fancy it, don't do it. Better to regret no riding while sitting on a bus than regret riding from a hospital bed.
6. I've just realised that I am now truly middle-aged. Also, do wear a hat on cold days!

snorri

Legendary Member
IJust remember it's too late to change your mind when you're airborne:sad:

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

2. High wind speeds do not always make a dangerous ride. "Up to" means up to, not 'all day long'.
3. There are 'danger spots': Emerging from behind buildings, crossing a gate where a high hedge has been sheltering you, being passed by a high-sided vehicle.
4. Time when you look over your shoulder not to coincide with any of the above. For some reason it is easier to recover from a shove to the side when you are looking ahead.
5. If you don't fancy it, don't do it. Better to regret no riding while sitting on a bus than regret riding from a hospital bed.
6. I've just realised that I am now truly middle-aged. Also, do wear a hat on cold days!

Thanks for the response; some really good points!

You've hit on exactly my problem; being relatively inexperienced I'm always doubting whether I'm making the correct call. On paper everything can be minimized, quiet roads, rural with large hedges and not riding in a group etc but like you say, silly things can catch you out!!

I'll most probably head out in the afternoon and see how it feels. It's nice to hear that people would go out in similar conditions with necessary precautions made.

It's all a learning curve after all!!

C

lukesdad

Boris you forgot the top of the Black mountains ,it was blowing so hard one day last year i had to get off me bike to put me jacket on :ohmy:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Out in it today, wind increased to a gusty 40mph....frewheeling off Saddleworth Moor I was only managing about 20mph.
A bit later a double decker bus passed me and the vortices pulled me all over the place. If it's like that again tomorrow I'll sack it. Just not worth the risk and actually not a lot of fun

Top Bottom