Victoria Pendleton: Cycling's Golden Girl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I don't think it is that simple. For an example, see her reaction to winning after her opponent was DQd after coming up the track in the sprint. It isn't enough to win, she'd have to win everything 'the right way'. And get world records. And be loved by the press. And for her dad to say he was so, so proud of her... And even then, she might still feel that emptiness. It isn't as though she has been an underachiever so far!
I agree ColinJ, It won't be enough, she said at the time it wasn't the way she wanted to win! she seems to have inherited her fathers traits by the looks, or at least thats how it came across on the documentary. Like when as previously said, he couldn't see his daughter the champion in that shirt just his own regrets for not going for it. Sad. I think she's going to need a lot of therapy to work through this otherwise she will most probably pass it on to her own offspring.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Clearly, you didn't watch the programme or read all of the posts above - she is engaged to one of her coaches and it caused a huge row when it first came out, leading to him being sacked. (He is now back on the support team though.)
Well there you be wrong on both counts.

I know she's engaged to her coach. Only time will tell if this is a stable and fulfilling relationship outside of the velodrome post active participation in the sport surely?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seems to me that when two athletes are as closely matched as she was to her track rivals, the winner is the one who has the mental drive to push himself or herself that extra 1% for the vital few seconds to the line. Fitness, technique and muscle strength are vital of course but an athlete's frame of mind must have a huge effect on performance at that level.

I could not really work out why it was such a scandal for her to have a relationship with one of her coaches. What was the big deal that made it secret at first and then that he had to be thrown off the team?

I wouldn't describe it as a scandal, we can't help who we fall in love in with. I can only assume that they both realised the implications of them being emotionally and romantically involved with each other and how this would be viewed by the team.

The danger with a situation like this is that it can split a team in two, the lovers and the rest of the team. That has implications enough when things are sweet. When / if things turn sour the ill feeling that it creates permeates throughout the team and impacts on performance.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I cried my eyes out when I watched this, I related to her in so many ways (clearly not the huge cycling talent or perfect face and body!) but just the way she still let that everything wasn't good enough because SHE'D done it and clearly it mustn't be that good in that case.

I know this sounds weird but I actually feel like I really genuinely love her.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fantastic programme, Mrs Norm has no interest at all in cycling and enjoyed it.

Even my missus really enjoyed it, and the kids. Elite athletes are wired differently, even from us amateurs, that is what makes them good. You only need to look at the genius of Mr O'Bree. Raced against him and Mr Boardman on a regular basis, and you appreciate why they were so good. Not a great life for them though.

Multiple World and Olympic gold medals = 'not much'? :whistle:

He is there to help the team members achieve their sporting goals, he's not the team psychotherapist!

No I mean the shrink appears to have done little for her. Yes she has won lots (and hats of to her for that) but she was winning long before he came along. He seemed to have done nothing for the deeper issues that were clearly there and I would be surprised if any psychotherapist would just go in and tamper with the "winning" element in her nut and leave the rest of the persons make up with so many issues. Not that I am an expert but I would think you needed to deal with everything from the bottom up and not just paper over cracks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Great program, but I think she,..... you know I can't quite put my finger on it. Emotionally difficult? Complex? Fragile? Needs constant reassurance? Not quite sure. There's something different about her, I guess a lot of people at the absolute top of their game have a few issues.
She was showing nothing more than normal human emotions. Any sports person who opened up and let you inside their head would come across pretty much the same.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
After Vp's failure at the Athens Olympics, she was ready to pack the sport in. Mentally she was at an all time low. The team GB shrink got her back to a winning mindset. From that point onwards the medals started to come in.

carolonabike

I enjoyed the program and by the end felt a bit of symapthy for her by the end. I've been getting a bit irritated with some of the recent photo shoots she's been doing. It appears she's bought into to the perception (and she's not alone in this) that no matter how successful you are, as a woman it's still neccessary to get your kit off to prove how 'hot' you are, which is I think a very negative message to send out.

She certainly comes across as a bit needy, the overwhelming impression I got was that she really, really wants approval and it's quite unusual for an athlete to talk so openly about how fragile they feel. She obviously had a rough ride from the whole team after the fiance business but I wish her well and hope she wins her medals and lives happily ever after.

Top Bottom