Video as bike forced off road by bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
bye bye job i think.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
When they built Canary Wharf did anybody consider that it might be a good idea to separate tiny little humans on bikes from great big buses? They could have got it right at the beginning.

Thought not.

wafflycat

Doesn't surprise me from a First bus driver. Of all the local bus services in my neck of the woods, the only ones that give me grief are the drivers employed by First.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I haven't watched the video, but i think i know which one it is. The guy posts on bikeradar a lot.

I love this bit
He added it was pleasing to see all the bikes in the video stop at the red pedestrian crossing, contrary to stereotypes of cyclists.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Looks like that guy, Kurako lives up the road from me...

It was a stupid and unnecessary overtake - particularly as there was a taxi parked on the left, cyclists going straight (and needing to pass the stationary vehicle), and a bus driver wanting to get back into the left lane, immediately after overtaking. If the driver had waited 5 secs he could have moved into the left lane and not inconvenienced anyone.

Thankfully poor driving like that is not as common as it used to be with bus drivers - partly due to the increased cycle awareness training (including a DVD teaching aid) and also as a consequence of the rising numbers of cyclists on the road.

dodgy

It's not that bad! Same guy has posted on BikeRadar and had a mixed response there. Yes it's a bad manouver, but I've seen far worse! I'm all for highlighting bad driving with video evidence, but if this is the best you can do - you're lucky.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
It's not that bad! Same guy has posted on BikeRadar and had a mixed response there. Yes it's a bad manouver, but I've seen far worse! I'm all for highlighting bad driving with video evidence, but if this is the best you can do - you're lucky.

Actually, this is perfect TFL training material re: cyclist awareness and hazard perception/advance planning. The fact that it is not as shocking as some cycle-cam films is something to be thankful about. With this clip all road users involved can learn something...

dodgy

Origamist said:
Actually, this is perfect TFL training material re: cyclist awareness and hazard perception/advance planning. The fact that it is not as shocking as some cycle-cam films is something to be thankful about. With this clip all road users involved can learn something...

Agreed. I guess it's the title of the subject which is a bit 'Daily Mail' that strikes a chord with me.

battered

Guru
Doesn't seem that bad to me. Sure, he made a mistake but I had exactly the same happen when I was in London years ago and this kind of thing is commonplace in Leeds, from buses, taxis and private cars.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about this one. Yes it was poor driving, no doubt, but there is no way the cyclist was forced off the road by the bus. The cyclist had an opportunity to slow behind the bus and to go around it. He chose to go up the side of it, which is a bit daft in my opinion.

dodgy

Spot on last 3 posters (battered, Mags and Lee). Can't see what the fuss is about, tbh it looks like an equally good training video for cyclists as it does for TFL.

Top Bottom