Video - Think he wanted to join me on my bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Yesterday morning, lovely weather and fine commute until this f*ckwit decided that he owned the road and wanted to show me that. :smile:

After the first overtake maybe I should have hung back, but I planned to have words with him at the traffic lights that he was racing me to... unfortunately they changed just as I arrived so I ended up filtering past only to get closely overtaken again (despite me signalling very clearly that I wanted him to leave me more room). :biggrin:

Why do these tossers think it's acceptable to drive like this?? :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What a tosser! Mind you, if you wanted to hold that lane, you should have held the 2/3rds position. Sitting slightly left leaves the door open.

Aye and idiot. :smile: I agree with BM, I don't think you were being assertive enough there. It was obviously not safe to overtake there (unless you can occupy the oncoming lane). Therefore, being further out would have completely closed the door.

I should point out that I am not perfect at this either and it does take some guts, but it really is the only way to stop muppets like this. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
BentMikey said:
What a tosser! Mind you, if you wanted to hold that lane, you should have held the 2/3rds position. Sitting slightly left leaves the door open.
Maybe you're right... I suppose I don't really want to "hold the lane" as such (but maybe I should in future), just discourage people overtaking until they can move into the opposite lane a bit to get past... with me taking a good proportion of the available space it should force them to wait and consider their actions... but then I guess that relies on them not being complete dickheads, I suppose. :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I know, I have totally the same dilemna. All mentioned with complete respect of course, they're just comments aimed at what we can easily change.

The real change needs to come from that 'kwit of a driver. No reasonable driver would have tried to overtake like that, especially not towing a trailer.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Trailers are especially scary as lots of people forget that they are towing them and pull back in far too early. That said, it doesnt look like that was an issue with that guy as he didnt appear to move out at all in the first place :S

dondare

Über Member
Worst thing in that video was the cycle lane which puts you right in the door zone.

As for the first overtake either by good fortune or perhaps because he intended it that way, you had a long space between the parked cars to move in and let him pass safely.
Just after the lights you had room to get over again, and no real reason not to. I can understand that you don't want to be treated as a second class road-user just because you're on a bike (especially by a first class pillock in a Landy) but allowing faster vehicles to pass when there is an opportunity to do so is fair and sensible.

Jezston

Über Member
Definitely report him - saw one of those cops with cars shows recently and one police driver says he tends to stop 4x4s pulling trailers all the time as the separate license plate is illegal and people who pull them are often up to no good. They promptly then showed an example of this and after the driver was pulled in to the nick for not providing ID it turned out he wasn't who he said he was and he didn't even have a driving license let alone insurance!

So get on to plod asap - I fully expect they'd want to pull the driver in for questioning.

Pretty shocking he appears to have his kid with him as well.

Lizban

Bad driving no doubt. Report him yes

But.... (asked in geniune question way rather than critisum)

A question I've asked before - he's overtaken you badly once why not wait behind him (can't recall if it was a junction but if it was it removes the risk of left hook as well) at the lights thereby avoiding the chance he would do it again?

Origamist

Legendary Member
The advice on being further out might help, but with 30mph zones, on-street parking, a poorly positioned cycle lane, impatient motorists etc cyclists are always going to be disadvantaged in these types of situations.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Lizban said:
But.... (asked in geniune question way rather than critisum)

A question I've asked before - he's overtaken you badly once why not wait behind him (can't recall if it was a junction but if it was it removes the risk of left hook as well) at the lights thereby avoiding the chance he would do it again?
Not taken as criticism... it's a reasonable question which I attempted to mention in my OP thus:

Sh4rkyBloke said:
After the first overtake maybe I should have hung back, but I planned to have words with him at the traffic lights that he was racing me to... unfortunately they changed just as I arrived so I ended up filtering past only to get closely overtaken again
as I was riding fixed it's far easier to keep going than to stop... and the adrenaline probably doesn't help too much in these types of situations! :smile:

In response to Dondare's comments:
dondare said:
As for the first overtake either by good fortune or perhaps because he intended it that way, you had a long space between the parked cars to move in and let him pass safely.
Just after the lights you had room to get over again, and no real reason not to.
After the original turn at the lights he was quite slow to get up to speed (i.e. I could hear him way back) so no point in not taking the position I did as he was nowhere near me.

As for the "long space between cars"... not sure where you saw that. :smile:

There's a brief gap where I go past a left hand junction, then there's a parked car again.. with a gap just after it, but unless I reduced my speed quite a bit (as well as moving left) I would have run out of room in the gap by the time he had finally gotten past (as can be seen between 26 - 30 seconds as he passes me).

Using a similar argument, couldn't have just waited until that last vehicle passed the other way... the road was then clear. No, of course he couldn't as he's clearly a muppet.

Top Bottom