Views changed by online helmet discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to feel guilty about not always wearing a helmet despite my family urging me to wear one religiously.

After having some earlier threads give me a little doubt over the amount of 'protection' and subsequent research, I now wear it far less than I ever did previously. I can also justify my actions and express my doubts more confidently when challenged.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
There seems to be a common theme emerging of "Emperors clothes syndrome"?

Oooh, blah blah... he said, she said... blah blah.

Get a room.. or a different thread at least. :rolleyes:

As for me, in response to the OP... I'm sure there is a lot of evidence that helmets can both help or hinder depending on the circumstances of a crash... I wear one as I tell my Daughter's too (aged 7 and 4) and it's easier for them to see Daddy wearing one and just do it... and they are far more likely than I am to fall off and bang their heads.. and also I'm so used to wearing it now that it feels bloody odd/cold if I don't!! :biggrin: I also (when I get the cable sorted out) wear a helmet camera so it makes that much easier too.

Children are different, the skull is less well formed and will not absorb impact in the same way as an adult skull.

As you say they are also more likely to fall and bang their heads. However there is a major problem still as the evidence stacks up that prsent design is poor and ill fitting.

One study showed that 94% of children's helmets were poorly or wrongly fitted (enough to impair their efficiency) another study showed thatthe majority of children's helmets simply did not fit with large gaps - the suggestion is that better design is needed and a "fitting" system with trained persons using measurements of the head to ensure the helmet fits properly.

tigger

Über Member
I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone come into these threads holding one view and left them holding another?

2. Would anyone now be dead had they not read these threads?

1. Not really, but got me thinking
2. Hard to say for certain (I couldn't possibly provide enough evidence), but maybe I'd be dead if I were persuaded that helmets offer no protection

It's a pointless debate. The choice is yours. Generally (and I have lots of observational research to support this) whether you do or not depends upon the level of your vanity and the intensity of your cycling. But like I say the choice is yours and there are always exceptions! :hello:

pshore

1. Has anyone come into these threads holding one view and left them holding another?

These threads have not directly affected my position, which is a helmet doesn't need to be worn for all rides.

Without them, I think I may have been a victim of the peer pressure to wear one all the time. Having seen the facts for myself, I can confidently resist that peer pressure.

Children are different, the skull is less well formed and will not absorb impact in the same way as an adult skull.

The reasons they are softer and with the plates not fused together is because children have throughout evolution fallen over and banged their heads. Its nature's way of absorbing the impacts better. Concern has been expressed that helmets may constrain the natural flexing and make things worse.

Norm

This one worked for me:
I speak as a statistician. The evidence is that a helmet is (in general) will a help in a fall. The evidence also suggests that a fall is less likely if you don't wear a helmet. Sadly there is no way yet to balance the two. So anyone who says its safer to wear a helmet is talking nonsense. So is the guy who says it is safer to not wear a helmet.

So choose what you feel most comfortable with. Or a toss a penny. That really should be the end of the debate. However I fear the evangelists will continue...

Or, for a little more depth, this one:
Just jumping in here... and going back to the OP.

Helmets are OK really. I sometimes wear one and it hasn't killed me yet. Not wearing it hasn't killed me either.

It's not as comfy as a cotton casquette or (in winter) a Cap Comforter, but it's OK. If you like that sort of thing.

There are dangers associated both with wearing and not wearing a helmet. They are grave.

The main danger in not wearing a helmet is that you might attract opprobium from 'Helmet Fascists' who think you are putting mankind at risk by not wearing one. They take themselves and their opinions very seriously.

The main danger in wearing a helmet and advocating the use of one is that you may attract opprobrium from an anti-helmet lobby who think mankind (or the UK legislature) is about to adopt laws forcing us all to wear helmets at all times. They have a fascination with quotable statistics.

On balance, the second mob are more tiresome than the first, but the best response to both is a confident smile and a quiet withdrawal from the area or discussion.

Both take themselves IMMENSELY seriously and are blithely unaware that they are the only ones who do.

I hope this is helpful.
Pedants managed to find fault with both of the above but, well, that's what pedants do, isn't it. Especially ironic given that the second post said "Both take themselves IMMENSELY seriously and are blithely unaware that they are the only ones who do."

Coming back to the topic of this thread, my mind was changed not by entrenched opinionated self-righteous pissing-contest BS from either extreme, but because others (such as StuartG and Bicycle) had given it some consideration and posted something thoughtful.

twobiker

NO, its still a matter of personal choice. sheep.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
[QUOTE 1554098"]
Have any of you ever considered that a new cyclist might pop in here one day, curious about cycling helmets and interested in the views, only to be met by your incessant, rampant and boringly repetitive bickering over the same points?

It's not going to help them.
[/quote]

I think you are talking to the wrong people, I suggest you try and grab some flathelmeters and stop them posting "Please wear a helmet , it's only common sense, only an idiot wouldn't etc, etc etc....." All the rest is simply a reaction to the intitial ill informed message(s). I don't think anyone has ever started a thread saying " There is no evidence helmets work, save your money!"

[QUOTE 1554109"]
Strewth.

There are plenty of innocent threads started, only to descend into the same old pointless bickering. It might be fun for you, but it doesn't help anyone.

That's all.
[/quote]

But it does help...

Statement 1: You don't need a full face helemt as a helmet is wide enough to protect you form facial injuries
Statement 2: Not the case the evidence from teh British Dental Association shows they are concerned over how little protection helmets give to the face.

Surely showing first statement is untrue is helpful?

Norm

But it does help...

Statement 1: You don't need a full face helemt as a helmet is wide enough to protect you form facial injuries
Statement 2: Not the case the evidence from teh British Dental Association shows they are concerned over how little protection helmets give to the face.

Surely showing first statement is untrue is helpful?
Probably helpful the first time, in response to the initial post.

Possibly helpful the second time.

Probably not helpful after that, though, as it gives the appearance of point scoring.

Definitely not helpful at all when you use it as a weapon to stalk people.

Anything else you say becomes irrelevant as (IME) most other readers (who aren't directly involved in seeing whose damp patch is higher) just think "Oh, FFS, not that again" and hit the back button.

Probably helpful the first time, in response to the initial post.

Possibly helpful the second time.

Probably not helpful after that, though, as it gives the appearance of point scoring.

Definitely not helpful at all when you use it as a weapon to stalk people.

Anything else you say becomes irrelevant as (IME) most other readers (who aren't directly involved in seeing whose damp patch is higher) just think "Oh, FFS, not that again" and hit the back button.

Its easy to stop it though. Simply don't repetitively start threads with "helmet saved my life, you must wear one" stories. They tend to be the cause, the rest is just effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom