Views changed by online helmet discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I'm undecided on the matter of helmets.

I read the threads (and contribute occasionally) because it's an interesting area of discussion and often provides (probably unintended) entertainment.

I notice again and again the same names popping up and throwing sandbags atop their trenches as they keep up the good fight for one side or the other.

The tone adopted by some protagonists (on both sides) often suggests the world-weary sigh of a wise professor unable to get his brilliance through to the blinkered mind of a callow student.

Both sides seem to sneer at anecdotal support of the opposing view while championing their fact-based opinion.

I feel that the protagonists may labour on in the belief that they are opening the eyes of the cycling public to great follies and/or dangers.

I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone come into these threads holding one view and left them holding another?

2. Would anyone now be dead had they not read these threads?

The second question is silly, but the first is by no means rhetorical. There may be people out there who have changed their views as a result of these threads.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

I read the threads (and contribute occasionally) because it's an interesting area of discussion and often provides (probably unintended) entertainment.

I notice again and again the same names popping up and throwing sandbags atop their trenches as they keep up the good fight for one side or the other.

The tone adopted by some protagonists (on both sides) often suggests the world-weary sigh of a wise professor unable to get his brilliance through to the blinkered mind of a callow student.

Both sides seem to sneer at anecdotal support of the opposing view while championing their fact-based opinion.

I feel that the protagonists may labour on in the belief that they are opening the eyes of the cycling public to great follies and/or dangers.

I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone come into these threads holding one view and left them holding another?

The second question is silly, but the first is by no means rhetorical. There may be people out there who have changed their views as a result of these threads.

Little yellow Brompton

I have 2 questions:

Me! Although not from here but from Usenet.

in the mid 80's when I started cycling I must have been an early adopter of helmets, it was "common sense" , then I wa exposed to people who pointed me in the direction of the research , I read it , digested , read some more, then stopped wearing a helmet ( that I never really liked).

david k

Hi
1. no
2. dont know

to add, ive altered my views because of these threads but still maintain my original belief that a helmet is of value
id rather trust standards and people whos job is to provide safety than a couple of persistent strangers on a forum when making an 'informed choice'

I would find it more worrying if people ignoered safety standards and advice and used strangers on a forum to make a decision. I make my own

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It's changed mine.
I used to wear a helmet religiously, but now wear it very rarely.
I will start again when it gets colder, firstly as a bit of extra warmth and secondly, as the type of low speed spill they're allegedly only designed to protect against is more likely when there's ice about. IMO, anyway.

tyred

Legendary Member
I sometimes read these debates with interest but rarely contribute.

I have changed from someone who used to wear a helmet occasionally but felt I really should wear it all the time (I just didn't as it felt uncomfortable and the wind noise meant I couldn't hear anything) to someone who never wears it as I now realise they are nowhere near as effective as I thought they were.

I have certainly fallen off bikes but have never banged my head, perhaps if I had, I would have a totally different view.

fimm

Veteran
Hmmmm.
When I grew up, no one wore cycle helmets. Then I went to uni, and there I had a friend whose father had been involved in a cycling accident, the details of which I cannot remember if I ever knew them, but she (and I assume her family) certainly believed that the outcome would have been different if he'd been weraing a helmet. So she persuaded me to get one, and I wore it for about a decade of regular utility cycling, at the end of which time I doubt it was much use as protection...

Roll forward a few years and I came across the arguements on internet forums. I am mostly persuaded by the arguement that says that cycling is not as dangerous as it is percieved to be, and as long as we all go around in lots of silly-looking safely gear there will be people out there who don't even try cycling because it is "too dangerous". However I have not quite plucked up the courage to stop wearing the bl**dy thing, mostly because of the counter-arguement that if I am unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident it will somehow be my fault that my leg was broken, because I didn't have my £20 from Halfords plastic cap on.

1) No (I'm not convinced of any benefit as to wearing a helmet in the event of any serious impact but I wear it because it stops folks worrying about me), I've still got that view but I'm even more unconvinced than ever.
2) I would most certainly be dead if I didn't wear a helmet, I would of died of Hypothermia ;) although that has not changed as a result of reading these threads as I've nearly always wore one before and after reading.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Helmets are great for holding the buff/skull cap in place when descending fast hills.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've (almost completely) stopped wearing a helmet after being made aware (via CC debates) that:
a) current EN standard is weaker than the old BS standard.
b) there is SOME evidence to suggest they can do actual harm in certain types of impact.

I have an expensive well-ventilated helmet... but I still sweat profusely, and been just about blinded by sweat running down even the small portion of exposed forehead into my eyes. Not being able to see seems like a major risk factor to me.... and now I know the amount of protection the helmet might give me is minimal, the choice sort of makes itself.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My view has changed based on the testing regimen for helmets. That said I still wear one due to the fact that without one I spend more time thinking about the fact I am not wearing one and thus my riding becomes worse. I am under no illusion that it will help me if I come off the bike at >30mph but I would rather not have to think about the lack of a helmet when I am riding at such speeds.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I changed from wearing a helmet to not wearing one.
Not from the current helmet debates raging but from previous CC helmet debates that raged a few years back.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I used to wear helmets a lot years ago, it got to the point where I gradually wore it less and less as I was working in the cycling industry. I always knew about the debates on here but for me it was just personal choice. The only time I'd wear a helmet is if I was competing/racing again as you have to according to most competition rules.

Little yellow Brompton

I changed from wearing a helmet to not wearing one.
Not from the current helmet debates raging but from previous CC helmet debates that raged a few years back.

I think that's a fairly common reaction, the evidence really doesn't stack up and once past the "belief" and "common sense innit?" stage it's a bit like the Welsh Wet/Dry vote , there is no going back.

The only annoying bit is that advertising and lazy risk assement is breeding believers faster than rational investigation is converting them. I don't think anyone who is a vociferous beleiver is ever going to be convinced , but by knocking down their arguments one by one , and lettign them show themselves up for flat earthers it exposes their myths to those that want to take the effort to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom