Views on this? Repair broken frame or try to sell "as is"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is aluminium.

You will probably find the main welds are a bit oversize. I'm guessing that compensates for no latter stage heat treatment.

I know, there is one on eBay for £30

You may be lucky to find a garage that can weld ally well. Or even at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an aluminium alloy, if we're being really picky.

Crankarm

Guru
Save the forks if they are any good to you and take a cutting disc to the rest of the frame, then take it down to your local recycling place - tip or put the tubes in your blue recycling bin.

Personally I would flatten it with a hammer and put it out with the recycling.
Why flatten it? I'd cut the power cord off an electrical item that I thought was unsafe (and if someone knows how to wire a plug, they can assume responsibility) but why not leave this intact? If someone else can use it and you can't then why not?

(apologies if I am missing the point)

screenman

Legendary Member
Why flatten it? I'd cut the power cord off an electrical item that I thought was unsafe (and if someone knows how to wire a plug, they can assume responsibility) but why not leave this intact? If someone else can use it and you can't then why not?

(apologies if I am missing the point)

I think you are, what if he dumps it and somebody goes through the trouble of selling it and earns a £5 This is a cycling forum you know.^_^

I agree just scrap it.

albion

Guru
So what was your conclusion on a Kona 'lifetime' warranty ?
Worthless, assuming your bike shop was an official dealer ?

Thats the thing about 7005, it needs a good weld so unless the break was after a big fall then a defect is likely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you sure that's a welded joint and not a bonded joint? The line is so clean that it looks to me as if the lug has simply broken out of the end of the tube. What's inside the crack? Visible metal or just a void?

I'd get it repaired, but then I hate to throw things away.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Are you sure that's a welded joint and not a bonded joint? The line is so clean that it looks to me as if the lug has simply broken out of the end of the tube. What's inside the crack? Visible metal or just a void?

I'd get it repaired, but then I hate to throw things away.
No ...there is the end of the wheel joint in the tubing. Its snapped through solid metal. The weld is still strong and complete around the tubing. If I had it reattached it would be an extra weld..

Globalti

Legendary Member
I suppose you have to acknowledge that aluminium alloy work-hardens over time and will eventually crack. You could repair this but how much use have you had out of that frame?

Top Bottom