Viking Boat Found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

It was probably scallies nicked it from Hull or someplace, raced it ragged over the Pennines and then dumped it once it ran out of fuel.

Did not too bad on fuel these old sailing ships - about 100 miles to the galleon!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Dayvo said:
The Norwegian Vikings actually founded Dublin!
But why should bonj be interested in historical facts?
Of course, no one alive today saw them there, so it can't really be true, then, can it?

I believe they pulled the long boat out of the water on the liffey using a team of zonkeys, led by a unicorn

Carwash

Señor Member
Bonj trolls wonderfully as always. And do you know, I think I'd be disappointed with anything less!

bonj said:
I think it's probably a fake.

I think it's too early to tell for sure before it's excavated, although the descriptions and the initial GPR surveys look promising.

bonj said:
I think Liverpool just wants a bit of fame. Vikings didn't come over from Ireland did they! They came over from Norway.

If by 'Viking' (an imprecise term) you mean 'Norse' then yes, there would definitely have been a lot of sea traffic between Norse settlements in Ireland (e.g. Dublin) and the west coast of England, the Isle of Man, the Western Isles, the Northern Isles, Caithness, Sutherland, Færoes etc. etc. Saying, 'There were no Norsemen coming from Ireland!' is like claiming that there are no Indians living in Leicester because, duh, Indians come from India. Next you'll be telling me there were no Norsemen in Iceland either! We're talking about a culture that was the dominant power in the North Atlantic for some time, with people settled and established in places far, far away from Scandinavia.

bonj said:
Why would they have gone right round Scotland and gone to the west coast?

'Cos perhaps there was stuff there that they wanted? And perhaps they had stuff that the people there wanted. So they could trade. Towns and cities are born on such humble premises as this. (And earlier of course, they would have just taken the stuff they wanted - lots of rich monasteries in Ireland!) Also, it would have been 'friendly' territory? – Man and the Isles, northern Scotland and the northern Isles and much of northern England were culturally and linguistically Norse.

bonj said:
Smells a bit fishy to me.

Ha! Nautical humour! Bonj, you're the greatest.

spen666

Legendary Member
bonj said:
I think it's probably a fake. I think Liverpool just wants a bit of fame. Vikings didn't come over from Ireland did they! They came over from Norway. Why would they have gone right round scotland and gone to the west coast?
Smells a bit fishy to me.

It was probably scallies nicked it from Hull or someplace, raced it ragged over the Pennines and then dumped it once it ran out of fuel.

Did not too bad on fuel these old sailing ships - about 100 miles to the galleon

" No Comment"

[pedant]
Viking is actually a verb as in to go "viking" and describes the activity.

This became corrupted when the communities were described as "viking" communities (as opposed to farming or fishing).

[/pedant]

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Look, it's obviously just a scouse plot. They nicked the boat off the Vikings and buried it with a view to rediscovering it one day and getting in a compensation claim due to the fear and stress they're suffering which is induced by their being Vikings in the neighbourhood. The only reason the claim hasn't landed on Spen's or Patrick's desks is that they're having a bit of a problem finding somebody who can spell the more difficult words like "boat".

Arch

Married to Night Train
when did you last try to do coast to coast dragging a huge boat?

Now, there was a Viking who did that. Not the English coast to coast, but somewhere in the Baltic I think. He was told by a king that he could own anything he could sail the boat around, so he got his crew to drag it over a peninsula to claim the land...

Can't remember the details off hand, but I'm sure Canrider or Carwash will know...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it was some Scottish Island. I saw a programme once when they recreated it. They didn't have to drag it far, but the alternative sea journey would have taken ages.

And I think it was a more regular occurence than once.

A quick Google does indeed suggest they were doing it all the time, all over the Baltic, Scandinavia and everywhere they went...

papercorn2000

Wasn't that a film with Klaus Kinsky? - He played a mental guy in a white suit sailing aboat the Amazon - even when there was no water.

Canrider

Guru
'viking dragging ship king ownership' did it in one:

On the West Coast of Scotland there is a small 'town' called Tarbert (one of several) it is known as the Gateway to the Kintyre Peninsula and describes the border to the less well known region of Knapdale (Mid-Argyll) in the north. The name originates from the Gaelic word Tairbeart, which describes the narrow strip of land between two lochs. It reflects the actual location of the small fishing town very well: the settlement is squeezed in between the West Loch Kintyre and the East Loch Tarbert on a band of land no wider than one mile.

It was here that in 1093 Magnus Barefoot, King of Norway, employed an unusual tactic to claim Kintyre for his own. Malcolm, King of Scotland, had decreed that the Vikings could annexe any land they could sail their boats round. Magnus had his crew sail from West Loch Tarbert around the Mull of Kintyre than back to East Loch Tarbert, where he ordered the men to drag their longship over the isthmus, completing the circuit.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers Canrider, I used "viking ship dragging", so I was missing a couple of vital words...

I'm sure I've seen a programme where some people were recreating a similar feat in the Baltic, and it was implied that it was a regular trip...... I seem to remember there was a lot of lard used to grease the keel to make it slip nicely...

Just shows what a feeble bunch many of us are these days in comparison!

Top Bottom