Viking Boat Found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
asterix said:
Brian Boru had trouble with Vikings.. ..in Ireland.
Isn't that a fizzy drink (nice with vodka) made in Scotland, from girders ?

Carwash

Señor Member
I think it was some Scottish Island. I saw a programme once when they recreated it. They didn't have to drag it far, but the alternative sea journey would have taken ages.

You're thinking of a particularly exciting piece of experimental archaeology which was carried out at Mavis Grind in Shetland.

And I think it was a more regular occurence than once.

Yes, it's called portage. It's quite well attested from contemporary and later Icelandic sources, not only for crossing peninsulae but more practically for navigating between river systems in Russia and Eastern Europe.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
I'm not sure quite how to take that... The answer is, 'No.' in any case.

If you were, you'd just have had a baby. Congratulations!

What lobster? Do you mean a hummer?

Nah, a while back Mr Paul, in a rather bizarrely successful attempt to cheer me up (well, I think that was the motive..), claimed that a lobster could do my job better for less money.:smile:

He was, of course, right. But I've taken on a new jobbette now, and a lobster couldn't do it, because it would never get up all the stairs to the attic...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twasn't bizarre at all. It was on the same day that a lobster was reported to have found a historic settlement beneath the waves.

Oh! I missed that! I thought you were being amusingly surreal!

Arch

Married to Night Train

"In the process, silt formed on top and preserved both tools, such as flint knives and scrapers, as well as charcoal, worked pieces of wood, nuts and other organic material, which would have disappeared on land.

"It's called the Stone Age because, on land, we find stones from this period but under water a whole lot more survives," Mr Momber said. "

<sigh> We find charcoal, wood and nuts and other stuff on land too, in the right conditions. </sigh>

Cool story though! Cheers!

Canrider

Guru
"Divers taking part in a routine survey spotted a lobster cleaning out its burrow on the seabed and to their surprise the animal was throwing out dozens of pieces of worked flint rationalising its museum accessions."
:smile:

Top Bottom