Viking racing bike (Ian Steel)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Gartside

Hi all,

Not that I really have the space but I couldn't resist! My new addition is a Viking 'Ian Steel' model which I think is from 1959 or 1960. 531 frame, Campag Gran Sport gears, Nervex stuff and a nice Lysette leather seat. Will post some photo's tomorrow. Anyone else got one of these old Vikings?

The Viking Ian Steel was a top choice for young roadies. Derek Clarke Cycles, Lees Rd, Oldham was our local bike shop and agent. His price for a bare Ian Steel frame was 7 pounds 10 shillings in 1959/60. I think they were all in maroon paint. There was a more expensive Viking frame too, but I cannot recall the model name. You could buy a complete factory bike, or Derek would build your choice of groupset etc. I think the factory brakes (groupset?) were Weinman?

David Gartside

Hi all,

Not that I really have the space but I couldn't resist! My new addition is a Viking 'Ian Steel' model which I think is from 1959 or 1960. 531 frame, Campag Gran Sport gears, Nervex stuff and a nice Lysette leather seat. Will post some photo's tomorrow. Anyone else got one of these old Vikings?

I see from this current Ebay post that the 1960 price of the Ian Steel full bike was under 20 pounds!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-27 21.40.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-27 21.40.54.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 9

ASrovers

The Viking Ian Steel was a top choice for young roadies. Derek Clarke Cycles, Lees Rd, Oldham was our local bike shop and agent. His price for a bare Ian Steel frame was 7 pounds 10 shillings in 1959/60. I think they were all in maroon paint. There was a more expensive Viking frame too, but I cannot recall the model name. You could buy a complete factory bike, or Derek would build your choice of groupset etc. I think the factory brakes (groupset?) were Weinman?

Attachments

• brooks saddle.JPG
    brooks saddle.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 7
  • vikng badge.JPG
    vikng badge.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
  • viking bike 4.JPG
    viking bike 4.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • viking bike 5.JPG
    viking bike 5.JPG