Vine advocates riding side by side for traffic calming.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being in the States, I’m unfamiliar with Jeremy Vine
Now you've made me think about how to describe Jeremy Vine in a way that translates across the Atlantic and that is a thing that none of us want to see.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Now you've made me think about how to describe Jeremy Vine in a way that translates across the Atlantic and that is a thing that none of us want to see.
There's a sort of scale of Jeremies that I think has Hardy at one end and Clarkson on the other. Then in between you've got Vine, Corbyn, Beadle, Paxman, Hunt, Irons and Kyle. That's the basic order although we could quibble about the specifics and I may have missed one or two.

Perhaps I was unclear
That is a thing that none of us want to see.

As a direct response to JV's idiot-baiting tweet, that footage of those triathlete twunts riding into a horse rider has resurfaced as if it's a new thing and people are losing their shoot.

icowden

Veteran
Help with Jeremy Vine.

Vine hosts a radio show and TV show. The format is broadly similar.
Jeremy has a list of "hot topics" to get through, and invites one guest to support the debate and one who is against.
The problem is that the level of debate and idea of balance is moronic at best.

It's the sort of show where if the topic was "Should upskirting be made illegal" they would still find SOMEONE to argue that it is a healthy hobby and girls should be flattered. It's that kind of show.

The last time I heard it on the radio the debate was "should paddle boards be banned"? For this argument was a times journalist who went to a busy beach and found it was busy and got annoyed by people enjoying the busy beach, and rather than say, going to a quieter beach, he thinks paddle boards should be banned.

On the other side, someone who paddle boards professionally who is still baffled as to why the BBC are paying them a small fee to point out that the journo is an idiot and that most people are considerate. Occasionally, based on the discussion Jeremy will throw in idiotic questions.

"So Brian from Bradford says that he was hit in the head by a paddleboard while swimming and it could have knocked him out.. how can we fix that? should paddle boarders be fined? Call us and let us know what you think... Are there too many paddle boards? Should they be regulated? SHould they be licensed?"

Then Opinionated from somewhere calls or emails in to vent their spleen and this passes for radio / TV.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Perhaps I was unclear

As a direct response to JV's idiot-baiting tweet, that footage of those triathlete twunts riding into a horse rider has resurfaced as if it's a new thing and people are losing their shoot.
I think he thinks he is fighting the cyclists cause, but all he actually does is antagonise drivers and make them hate us even more than they already do. Think he needs to STFU.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think he thinks he is fighting the cyclists cause, but all he actually does is antagonise drivers and make them hate us even more than they already do. Think he needs to STFU.
Merging this with the ideas from "Do Most People Hate Cyclists" thread ...

Many people think they hate cyclists, but in actual fact they hate Jeremy Vine.

PK99

Legendary Member
It is also a much shorter overtake.

But in the situation shown, outermost riders virtually on the centre line, a safe overtake leaving a 1 to 2m clearance would not have been possible. The cyclists' positioning was unreasonable.

Double file taking half the lane would have left space for a safe overtake.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Thanks, all, for the heads up. After work today I will watch the one clip that @cycleops sent me, and that should do it for me, especially after @icowden's description that "It's the sort of show where if the topic was "Should upskirting be made illegal" they would still find SOMEONE to argue that it is a healthy hobby and girls should be flattered. It's that kind of show." I don't even watch what I might consider legitimate news shows anymore, I'm darn sure not going to EVER watch anything else of THAT guy's! Have to agree wholeheartedly with @mo1959 that jv should just STFU. (Stop Talking Forever U!) There will always be people like him, everywhere. Once I have their names in my head I just put them on my "no contact list" in my brain and delete them from my eyes! Our law here in the States says drivers should give bike riders 1m when passing. We're lucky if we get 6 inches. I bet that's the same all over the world, except places like Denmark.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
With my car driving head on, would a bunch of cyclists, 4 abreast in a group, be any harder to overtake than a tractor? Because I don’t think so. Easy peasy and I overtake tractors daily.

I would rather overtake a bunch like that than 10 riders strung out in a line. Way safer as a bunch.

Then again, I can drive, not afraid to use my steering wheel and a little patience. Also, I am not someone whose blood pressure goes up every time I see a bit of Lycra.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
With my car driving head on, would a bunch of cyclists, 4 abreast in a group, be any harder to overtake than a tractor? Because I don’t think so. Easy peasy and I overtake tractors daily.

I would rather overtake a bunch like that than 10 riders strung out in a line. Way safer as a bunch.

Then again, I can drive, not afraid to use my steering wheel and a little patience. Also, I am not someone whose blood pressure goes up every time I see a bit of Lycra.

They are not four abreast. That’s parallax. Plus many have failed to spot the blind summit in the distance making any overtake mute anyway.

Top Bottom