Vintage bike vs modern bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Your wish, etc

Attachments

• 20200405_125909.jpg
    20200405_125909.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 15
Your wish, etc
Is that the most common place to put an SA shifter on a drop-bar bike?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Is that the most common place to put an SA shifter on a drop-bar bike?
It's one of the common options - the other is just under the brake lever - although it's actually a flat-bar trigger,modified to fit the thicker bar with a long kinked bolt. The real drop-bar levers, not made for decades, have the lettering the right way up for under-bar mounting.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Wear whatever you want on whatever bike you want...dgaf about what anyone else thinks, there's no right and wrong in the broad church of cycling. Do what suits and works for you

Weren't you planning on spending 2k on a bike though, that'd one hell of a vintage machine??

I want to pay about £250 at the most for a vintage road bike.

Yes, in a few months I want to spend 2k on a carbon road bike.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

As has been said, do what YOU want.

I had clipless SPD pedals on my 1991 531 frame Raleigh, but I also ride my £3k carbon road bike in baggy shorts and MTB shoes... Rebel ;)

Did you ever get any funny looks?

I’m just wondering If people will think it’s weird to use modern technology on an older bike.

What people? The vast majority have no clue about anything to do with cycling

Attachments

• P2H9B3.jpg
    P2H9B3.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 8

roley poley

Veteran
I normally ride flat bars but whenever I ride the dropped bar bike which I have had for 6 month somewhere in the muscle memory or grooved paths of my brain I still occasionally reach for the down tube shifters I loved 20 years ago on another bike long gone, all the other times I am fine with my bar end shifter.Bloomin vintage autopilot

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did you ever get any funny looks?

I’m just wondering If people will think it’s weird to use modern technology on an older bike.
The only time I've ever got funny looks for putting modern stuff on an older bike was when I punctured on a group ride with my Dawes and had to remove and replace the (modern 130mm hub) rear wheel. This required me swearing and wrestling with for several minutes it as I forced the dropouts to give me an extra 10mm or however much it is while my impatient companions stood by in the rain. Giving me funny looks.

Seriously, I don't think anyone ever gives anyone else "funny looks" about bikes. Sensitive folk may imagine it, but I doubt it happens.

Top Bottom