Vintage bikes, what have you seen?? Show us your pictures!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm riding the Riv again at the moment because the Dutchie's left rear hub bearing collapsed and there aren't any in this country until August :rolleyes: but the Riv's Sturmey Archer just keeps ticking despite its long time stood still.[/QUOTE]

I thought Dutchies had standard Sturmey Archer hubs?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought Dutchies had standard Sturmey Archer hubs?
Sadly, the Dutchie Dapper has a Shimano hub gear with coaster brake (SG-3C41 I think OTTOMH). That, badly-designed coatguards and a rather fragile paint job are the only things I don't like about it. Most of it is dribblingly gorgeous. Petra Cycles managed to supply the bearing quicker than they first thought they could, so the Dutchie is back on the road! :smile:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A 50s Sun with retro-direct gearing (fitted by the current owner I should add)

You get the higher gear of you pedal forward and the lower gear of you pedal backwards.

View attachment 132052
I saw a bike recently with retro direct drive. The owner had it set up so the lower gear was pedalling forwards and the higher backwards. He said he had it like that because setting off or going uphill, particularly if standing, it's more natural to pedal forwards. I must say, since seeing it, I have a hankering to build one myself.

Seen outside a nearby supermarket:
IMAG0195_zpsjp3hgjck.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Reposting from another thread: a BSA three-speed:
And this bike parked in one of the few remaining wheelbenders (there's always spaces in those wheelbenders - I won't use them) had a parking ticket stuck to its saddle. I'm not sure if it was a joke or what. Fun place to store a cuddly toy, too - I didn't check whether it was belted in!
View attachment 134780

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Saw one of these abandoned on the canal bank last night
View attachment 134862

Looks lovely, I'd follow that one up

IMAG0321_zpsvibrxnko.jpg

This is parked outside the local library most thursdays, I haven't managed to catch the owner yet. It's so utterly disreputable - I love it!
managed to catch the chap who owned this today, its a Major Nichols. Sounds like he was a pretty hardcore clubman back in the day. We talked vintage bikes for a while (he's got a bent Ian Steele frame he was asking what it would cost to fix) then he said he had loads of 60s and 70s components that he'd taken off bikes over the years and he'd bring them in for me, so that was nice

Didn't manage to catch a pic, but an old lady was waiting to walk her bike across the road at the traffic lights wearing a floppy brimmed sun hat with a strap tied round her chin so it wouldn't blow off. The bike she had was a nicely patinated ladies' Balmoral with wire baskets front and rear filled with her shopping

@Nibor it's amazing what some folks will throw out: a friend of a friend did a job at an expensive house in the cotswolds and saw a Schwinn Cruiser sticking out of a skip (yes I know that's where they probably belong!), owners said take it and he sold it to my friend for 140 spuds I think. a couple of weeks later he was riding it through Bristol and was offered £300 for it!
I can't understand the appeal myself, but it's awakened a cycling beast in my pal who has already bought two bikes off me

Top Bottom