Vintage City Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vintagebiker

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommandations regarding "Vintage looking" city bikes? I bike around 8 km a day, and appreciates a nice design.

I've considered the Tokyo CS Bike, however it has a pretty hefty pricetag and I'm not sure it's worth it. Anyone know of any good alternatives, something you have yourselves maybe?

Here's the Tokyo Bike: http://www.tokyobike.co.uk/tokyobike-tokyobike-cs26.html

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I doubt you'll find anything quite that 'traditional' at a cheaper price (not with a steel frame anyway) The other option is to buy an old Raleigh (or similar)and rebuild it, this one cost me around £300 and barring the frame and the 3spd Sturmey Archer hub (which I had a new rim laced on to) it's all new.

DSCN0161.JPG

humboldt

I feel like 'vintage' and 'light' don't necessarily go hand in hand unfortunately, and a lot of frames with classic looks will be steel rather than aluminium. My wife bought a pretty retro looking aluminium Dutch bike from a guy on Gumtree who brings them back over after holidays there, but it is as heavy as an anchor so don't assume that aluminium automatically = lightweight; if it has a big heavy hub gear attached it will still be weighty. Also consider the potential comfort aspect that steel will give you over aluminium if you're riding rough city streets? I get it though, I wouldn't want to be dragging anything too heavy up and down stairs to get to trains etc.
I think the Tokyobike may need a test ride before buying but appreciate that may be tricky if you're in Denmark. They have pretty small wheels so you'd want to check them for size and to see if you like the handling.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I doubt you'll find anything quite that 'traditional' at a cheaper price (not with a steel frame anyway) The other option is to buy an old Raleigh (or similar)and rebuild it

Unless you deliberately set out to buy a real basket case as a fixer-upper, a secondhand machine probably won't even need a full rebuilt. My 23-year old Pioneer just required a bit of wheel truing and a general lube and adjust. I could buy several of them and make roadworthy for the price of one new Tokyobike, and mine has a higher quality frame.
There's some good stuff out there if you are willing to do your homework. 5 miles is a nothing distance, and unless you live somewhere really hilly then there's no great hardship in pedalling a 30 lb full-size bike along. I used to do 7 miles day in day out on a 1980s vintage all-steel 3-speed roadster which weighed at least 35 lbs, and probably closer to 40 with rack, dynamo lights etc. It kept me fit!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feel like 'vintage' and 'light' don't necessarily go hand in hand unfortunately, and a lot of frames with classic looks will be steel rather than aluminium. […] if it has a big heavy hub gear attached it will still be weighty.
Never let hub gear hate ignore how much all those cassettes, freehubs, chainrings and derailleurs weigh.

Maybe there are Gazelle dealers in Denmark so the OP can test ride a Van Stael which looks similar to the Tokyo, a stripped down classic design.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never let hub gear hate ignore how much all those cassettes, freehubs, chainrings and derailleurs weigh..

I think hub gears have got a bad rep largely because a 3-speed Sturmey AW and an 18T rear cog makes for hard pedalling with a top gear typically around 90 Inches and big steps between the gears.
On the other hand a close ratio hub gear with at least 5 speeds and a top gear of about 80 Inches would be as near perfection as you can get in my book.

humboldt

I have no hate at all for hub gears, that was just because my wife's bike has a Nexus hub and I was using it as an example of a heavy aluminium bike. Think the Van Stael is definitely better value than the Tokyobike at around the same price simply because it has mudguards already fitted and Brooks saddle and grips as stock. Pelago do some similar bikes and have stockists in Denmark too.
https://www.pelagobicycles.com/store-locator

Top Bottom