Vintage Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
Picked up the other day,
Had a quick ride and everything seems ok apart from one or two loose bolts etc. I am just checking it over, the frame is straight and in pretty good condition. all the bearing seem to run smooth, gear work. well. So far the only thing I've found is the chain is too short.

Attachments

• P1000788.JPG
    P1000788.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 191
  • P1000790.JPG
    P1000790.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 154
  • P1000791.JPG
    P1000791.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 170
  • P1000792.JPG
    P1000792.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 145
  • P1000793.JPG
    P1000793.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1000795.JPG
    P1000795.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 126
  • P1000796.JPG
    P1000796.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 127

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
That looks immaculate.nice one

davidphilips

Veteran
Picked up the other day,
Had a quick ride and everything seems ok apart from one or two loose bolts etc. I am just checking it over, the frame is straight and in pretty good condition. all the bearing seem to run smooth, gear work. well. So far the only thing I've found is the chain is too short.

loose bolts and needing a chain? best thing is send it over to me, all joking aside that must be the best looking galaxy i have seen.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice, must be a very early one, and in such good condition. Any idea of year?

Must be the only one I've seen with suicide levers.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Something was bugging me for the year. All the 70s galaxies had top tube brake guides on the side and were usually either green or brown/bronze. I assumed the 80s would have had them across the top until I saw this

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Dawes-82/09_touring_Galaxy.jpg

Fits with some of the components. I'd also guess the front forks have been replaced at some time as the fork crown doesn't really match the galaxy or even Dawes better frames.

That said its still a really nice bike and I liked the one I had. Shame I sold it.

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Well I've had a good look over and tightened every thing up and the worst I've found is the bearings on the drive side pedal are shot and I can't get the near side pedal off.
Thanks for all the comments, I must admit it was the paint job that caught my eye and when it turned out to be in as good a condition as it looks I snatched the guys hand off, couldn't get away fast enough in case he changed his mind.
Not certain of the year but the guy I got it from said it had been his brothers and he bought it second hand around 20 years ago, and he himself had owned it for around 2 years. But just comparing with photo's of other galaxy's I'm thinking early 80s (not that I really care) I was originally looking for an 80's bike so I could have a project to restore. Now looks like I'll be polishing rather than restoring. Must admit I think I got a bargain

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Actually managed to take it out on a proper ride last night, I was pleasantly suprised at just how smooth it was. Took a bit to readjust back to down tube shifters, I lost count of how many time I flicked the brake leaver only to have nothing happen. Secondly I now know how far brake technology has improved and I heve to readjust my mind to what exactly makes a hill. But otherwise loved it.

mikeymustard

Veteran
There's a reason why brake shifters have become the norm ;).
As far as actual braking is concerned, some decent pads will go a long way towards improving your experience, koolstop salmons are always highly recommended.
You've got yourself a really nice ride there, well done!

Top Bottom