Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking good :smile: Dredging the memory but it could be an Olympic?

PS here's a later "Falcon" with all chrome rear triangle.

http://theflyingwheel.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/falcon-proffesional.html
This is the colour scheme that I have uncovered underneath all of the coats of paint . The main body of the frame was painted in a light sky blue metallic. The green tinge has come from the lacquer which has yellowed with age . White panels were added similar to the picture of the Team Professional in the flyingwheel blogspot. I found another Falcon Team Professional in the same colour with a white panel on the down tube in a later post .
So I'm wondering if Falcon did a Team Professional replica in this colour scheme ?

Warny

Über Member
Hi all, saw a Falcon Cotswold racer advertised quite locally and as I've got one anyway thought I'd get another! Seems to be from 1986, all original and the seller said it's been in storage most of the last ten years.

531 frame and forks, Sachs-Huret 5x rear gears with 3x front chainrings. Weinmann brakes, Rigida rims with Maillard hubs and QR. Can't make out the lettering on the rear dropouts, sadly the brake hoods have perished and I think the front deraileur plastic bracket was on the way out, as it broke when I was adjusting the height! Might try a cable tie to keep it in place.

905.JPG

906.JPG

907.JPG

908.JPG

Mandobob

I discovered this Falcon on the bay which seems to have the same layout of Falcon logos that my frame would have had https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Falcon-Racing-Bike/124393089209
The bike that looks like that is in Falcon catalogues as follows:
1986 (453 tubing) Team Equipe
1988 (770 - Falcon's own tubing) L'Equipe
It is in red in both the ctalogues and the only real ones I have seen are also red. Not to be confused with the San Remo Equipe wich was their top of the range model until the early 1980s.

Mandobob

So to add to the bikes, here is my model 80 San Remo, 1975ish which I have just managed to rebuild after much searching for bits, waiting for respray and many many other distractions.

The brakes which came with my blue frame are a pair of gold anodised Weinmann 500's with a date stamp of 1977. I thought that they had come from a Raleigh Record Sprint but that model didn't come out until 1980. If they are original equipment it would date my frame to 77/78.

Mandobob

The Coventry Eagle image is there because from 1957 to 1971 Falcon was owned by Coventry Eagle. In 1971 Clements took over control of the company and he re-named it Falcon Cycles. The company retained rights to the name and continued to make Coventry Eagle badged bikes (the 1980 catalogue which I have includes some).

I can't be sure about the forks as when I bought the frame and forks the paint was not original. It does have the front lamp bracket on which was a feature of their models for many years.

Glad there are a few of us around who appreciate Falcon bikes!

Mandobob

This is the colour scheme that I have uncovered underneath all of the coats of paint . The main body of the frame was painted in a light sky blue metallic. The green tinge has come from the lacquer which has yellowed with age . White panels were added similar to the picture of the Team Professional in the flyingwheel blogspot. I found another Falcon Team Professional in the same colour with a white panel on the down tube in a later post .
So I'm wondering if Falcon did a Team Professional replica in this colour scheme ? View attachment 555202
I have been pondering this blue frame for some time. I have only ever seen Team Equipe bikes in red (the racing teams changed to red for the 1985 and 1986 seasons. In 1983/84 seasons they were a darker blue, as per your reference photo (that bike is, I understand, Sid Barras' training bike). The blue team bikes were built by Paul Washington of Brian Rourke Cycles.

Top Bottom