Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
75 pence lol. Probably a weeks wage back then. !
Pocket money was about 2 shillings and 6 pence which is 12.5 p.

My first serious bike was a Falcon Majorca in metallic purple from Madgetts of Diss. It had 27" wheels, steel rims, Shimano 600 5-speed gears. I rode it as my everyday hack bike for years then sold it to a friend. I was nothing special, unbutted chromoly I think but handled nicely.
The gearing was a bit high for touring and I think it held me back for too long.

I have just been reading about Ernie Clements in" The Boneshaker " the Veteran -Cycle Club journal. Number ,176, volume 18, Spring 2008, by Jim Leach.
It would seem that the earliest Falcon cycle would date to 1956/ 57 when Ernie Clements became works manager for Roberts Cycle Industries which was later taken over by Coventry Eagle in late 1957.
I am assuming that the similarities between some of the early Falcons and Ernie Clements could be due to his involvement in their design and continuing with a tried and tested design . It is just a thought !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1971 Falcon San Remo, with pedals and saddle from other bikes added for road testing. Pedals more in keeping with the period will follow, and a different saddle. I mostly use this for show, rather than an every day rider, although it could be.
1571569604384.png

Cable ties have since been replaced with original steel bands to hold rear brake cable to top tube. Derailleurs and shifters are Campagnolo. I used Mafac Racer brakes. This bike was thrown out in front of someone's house for the garbage men. Wheels are from my Bianchi Squadra, I have some period tubular and clincher wheel sets for this, but they need service and repair.

Last edited:
1971 Falcon San Remo, with pedals and saddle from other bikes added for road testing. Pedals more in keeping with the period will follow, and a different saddle. I mostly use this for show, rather than an every day rider, although it could be.
View attachment 489803
Cable ties have since been replaced with original steel bands to hold rear brake cable to top tube. Derailleurs and shifters are Campagnolo. I used Mafac Racer brakes. This bike was thrown out in front of someone's house for the garbage men. Wheels are from my Bianchi Squadra, I have some period tubular and clincher wheel sets for this, but they need service and repair.
It's a good job you rescued it !

My Falcon Club Special arrived!
I think it is early 60's . The frame number begins H 61, it has braze on fittings including front changer mount on the down tube . The seat post diameter is approx 27 mm. A grease nipple in the BB and waterslide transfers, I seem to remember seeing Falcons in mid 60's with vinyl stickers .
I am in the process of giving it a good clean at the moment.

Top Bottom